Liturgy you might think is old but isn't

Status
Not open for further replies.

SRoper

Puritan Board Graduate
What are some liturgical practices you might think are old but really aren't? I'll start with a few.

The "Praise God From Whom All Blessings Flow" Doxology
This song only dates to the 17th century. It is the last verse of a hymn by Thomas Ken. I don't believe there are equivalents in other languages that predate this hymn.

Responding to the reading of the Word with "The Word of God for the people of God." "Thanks be to God."
As best as I can tell, this response is younger than I am. It is possibly a corruption of "the Word of the Lord" and "the gifts of God for the people of God." The second phrase is how the newer BCP translates what was traditionally translated "holy things for holy people."

Musical instruments in worship (depending on how you define old)
Not trying to stir up this whole debate, but depending on how you parse the evidence, Christians through most of church history did not use instruments in worship. It seems the first organ in a church was installed in the 8th century, but it is not clear that they were used for worship services until much later. In the 13th century, Thomas Aquinas writes matter-of-factly that Christians do not worship God with instruments.

Metrical psalms
Up until the Reformation, psalms were chanted so as to accommodate their native non-metrical structure. The Reformers thought it necessary to alter the psalms to make them metrical and to rhyme in order to return singing to the congregation.

What are some others? Did I get something wrong?

I thought Paul and Peter sang Old Time Religion followed up by I Surrender All during the altar call invitation to the anxious bench, then subsequently met at KFC for a fried chicken dinner?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back