Lloyd-Jones (Ephesians)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
Anyone know where I can get Jones' Ephesians Commentary (8vols)?

I really want the hardback, but I am also looking for cheapest (which means paperback)!!!

Any help???

It's quite expensive - $93 is the best price I've seen at ecampus.com, and that's for the paperback. Not nearly as exorbitant as the Romans set, but still really, really expensive. I'd be hard pressed to recommend it to you over a couple of other tried and true resources, actually. Anyway if you can't get one from ecampus, then you're paying well over $150 used.

I have Romans and Ephesians and I recommend both. There are a variety of places to find these works, including eBay. When Banner of Truth Trust has its annual sale is one of the best times to buy these.

I have Romans and Ephesians and I recommend both. There are a variety of places to find these works, including eBay. When Banner of Truth Trust has its annual sale is one of the best times to buy these.

When is their annual sale, usually?

D. A. Carson on Lloyd-Jones on Ephesians:

The eight volumes of sermons by D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones...are eminently worth reading, but only if you read very quickly. (p. 111)

and on Romans:

D. Martyn Lloyd-Jones's ten-volume exposition...is probably not the model most preachers should imitate, but the set is easy to read, and Lloyd-Jones sometimes offers material one is hard-pressed to find elsewhere - in addition to the wealth of his practical application of Scripture. Read it if you are a fast reader. (p. 89)

from the 6th edition of his New Testament Commentary Survey (2007)

I've read all of the Ephesians set and parts of the Romans set, and I think Carson is right: MLJ is very wordy. There's lots of good stuff there, but you have to pluck it out from amidst tons of verbiage. MLJ was definitely in need of a good editor.

When is their annual sale, usually?

I think in the Fall. I get a notice from Tom Golden, who is a distributor for BOT. He actually sells the books at a greater discount than BOT. I've bought many books from Tom. Good guy.

I've read all of the Ephesians set and parts of the Romans set, and I think Carson is right: MLJ is very wordy. There's lots of good stuff there, but you have to pluck it out from amidst tons of verbiage. MLJ was definitely in need of a good editor.

It should not be forgotten that those commentaries are essentially print reductions of MLJ's sermons. As he himself notes somewhere the difference between sermons and commentaries is that more repetition is necessary when preaching. Even though I am a slow reader, I find MLJ's pace more helpful than many commentaries as I find going at a point from many angles tends to uncover more and needed applications.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back