Logical Conclusion of Paedobaptism?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well this is for another thread, but although the Confession rightly uses the categories of Moral, Ceremonial, and Judicial laws, I don't think that the Ceremonial and Judicial law can be abstracted from one another in any simplistic way in our study of what is the general moral equity of the judicial law for today.

This is just an example. Moses is being threatened with excommunication from Israel by physical death - not being threatened with eternal death - (judicial), for not circumcising his son (ceremonial).

I agree that circumcision was a peculiarly important part of the ceremonial law, but still a ceremony.

Last edited:
I agree that circumcision was a peculiarly important part of the ceremonial law, but still a ceremony.

But I also included an example of manslaughter and that is clearly judicial. It just would have been more precise to simply remove "ceremonial".

2. Is only part of the covenant still in effect as Dennis brought up?

Circumcision was both a sacrament and a type. As sacrament, it signified and sealed the blessings of the covenant of grace. As type, it bound Israel into the faith of Christ until He came. The former continues in baptism; the latter has been fulfilled and abrogated by the coming of Christ.

In the PCA one of the vows of membership is to, in effect, peaceably study the doctrine of the church, and to submit to its governance and discipline. This is sealed by vow.

One does not have to vow understanding of, far less, agreement, with every part of doctrine. But to peaceably study it and submit to the church authority.

So, while it does not require someone to believe in infant baptism to join, it would require an openness toward learning it as having a biblical basis, and being the confessed doctrine of the church.

Over time, and not in much time, covenant family and infant baptism are going to be taught and modeled consistently and regularly.

Someone who has a conviction of believer's only baptism could not in good faith take the vows. Someone who was open to the church's doctrine could, but it won't be long before the difficulty of keeping a nonconfessed view is going to surface.

Is it a cause for immediate discipline?
No, not likely for a member (Officers are held to a higher standard).

But longer term, informal admonishment and more formal discipline, maybe.

That makes sense, thank you for clarifying.

A Christian ought not plan to remain a "regular attender" of a church any more than planning to date a suitable woman long term with no intention of marrying her.

Rather, it is the duty of the creature to determine main things at least that pertain to His Creator's will, and then find a communion to submit to in good faith.

A high view of the church will lead to this because it is Christ who died to secure redemption for His Body, the church. He chose them, we do not choose them, and our commitment ought be more from that standpoint. We're not merely "regularly attending" His Body- we are part of it.

While we live in generation that thinks it fashionable even (worldly) wise to not commit to anything, such is not the way of the Kingdom of God.

I agree. What ought a person with firm Baptist beleif system do in the highly unlikely position of living in a town where the only orthodox option is to go to a Presbyterian church, and vice versa?

I just wanted to post links for easy reference to those posts in the 9 page thread that speak more about the typical element of circumcision generally and the circumcision of Moses' son in particular, as they were helpful to me (I did manage to read through all nine pages, by only reading Rev. Greco's and Rev. Winzer's posts, well worth the trouble :).

http://www.puritanboard.com/f57/paedobaptism-view-credobaptist-children-15435/index6.html#post199233
http://www.puritanboard.com/f57/paedobaptism-view-credobaptist-children-15435/index3.html#post199014

What ought a person with firm Baptist beleif system do in the highly unlikely position of living in a town where the only orthodox option is to go to a Presbyterian church, and vice versa?

I can tell you what I did. I am attending a Presbyterian church.

Last edited:
What ought a person with firm Baptist beleif system do in the highly unlikely position of living in a town where the only orthodox option is to go to a Presbyterian church, and vice versa?
Move, or pray for a Baptist church.:pray2:

The point being one cannot keep the ninth commandment and have sustained accountability to a communion which holds significant differences of doctrine.

(Exo 20:16) Thou shalt not bear false witness against thy neighbour.

I believe Scott has gone a bit to far with this one but his second point is somewhat true. "sustained accountability to a communion which holds significant differences of doctrine" If one is going to subscribe or place themself under the authority of a Church with certain practices and creedal significance, then the point of accountability is lost if one neglects to submit to it's doctrine. I imagine in Scott's thinking if you don't agree with the doctrine of the Church and you call it out you might be accused of violating the Ninth Commandment maybe in that you are calling something a false doctrine. Either way that would be true on both sides of the issue. And it is harmful to fellowship in my estimation. If we did that here on the PB we could fling the Ninth commandment violation around at each other consistently. And that is just a mess.

Those in my church are aware that I am a credobaptist. Not that I go around trying to change their views on the subject, I do nothing of the sort, but they are aware of it. I think if I tried to join the church without making that difference known that it would be a violation of the 9th commandment because essentially I would be saying that I am in agreement with them on doctrine while in fact I was not. However, this is not the case.

And this is why I do not become a member at Lakepoint Baptist Church. I am a pedobaptist and feel like I would be lying by becoming an official member. I also believe in a very high view of the Lord's Supper. Closer to Anglican than the Zwinglian view prevalent in Baptist churches.

Move, or pray for a Baptist church.:pray2:

The point being one cannot keep the ninth commandment and have sustained accountability to a communion which holds significant differences of doctrine.

Yes but imagine, however unlikely, If the person cannot just move. What would the person do then? I know I may be asking too many questions but I think that these questions allows us to better understand our ethical responsibility. It seems to me that they should consult with the church and see what they think. I would imagine that you join with the leadership knowing how you feel and remain as quiet as possible about it until you can find a better solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back