Logos 6 is AMAZING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMcFadden

Puritanboard Commissioner
OK, I admit it. I do not read manuals, hate to have to learn new software, and object to minor "improvements" generating big $$$ for software companies at my expense.

However . . .

Logos 6 is AMAZING! It does so many things and does them so nicely. If you have a large library in Logos, it will be even more useful to you thanks to some of the improvements, tweaks, and new features. Check it out: https://www.logos.com/.

One of the cool little additions is the ability to take any piece of text (or photo) and turn it into a professional slide "automatically." They even give you a variety of styles to choose from. The attached Calvin quote was created by 1. highlighting the text in the Institutes, 2. right clicking and selecting "visual copy," 3. selecting one of nearly 50 templates (several of them with drawings of Calvin in various places on the template), and 4. saving it as a JPEG (I could just have easily ported it over directly to Powerpoint or Proclaim, printed it, or saved it in some other popular format). John Calvin Quote.jpg

They also have a number of animations, archaeological "before and after" photos/reconstructions of ancient sites (e.g., Herod's Temple, Ephesus, Pergamum, Sardis, etc.).

Pretty nifty!

BTW, if you ALREADY own Logos, sign in before looking at the prices. They will give you credit for what you already have and this may reduce the sticker shock. They also have a nice variety of designer packages (e.g., Anglican, Reformed, Lutheran, Baptist, etc.) to tailor the resources to your likely interests. My package, for instance, was about $800 less expensive than the "Gold" asking price due to the books already owned in my library.

I have seen features touting slides and animations, and visual media. Is there anything in the update that makes it worthwhile besides those features (which to me are fluff, and I would never touch).

The upgrade or even crossgrade prices are pretty steep for what you get at the moment. I saw a big jump from 4->5 (especially since 4 was broken more often than not, at least on the Mac).

I just haven't seen much compelling to upgrade to 6, even though it has been hyped a lot. Maybe the features that are really interesting are being hidden under the glitz and glamour of slides and animations? Logos 5 has been remarkably more stable than 4. However, it seems like I have to restart my copy almost every day because resources have been updated. That is annoying, and might be worth an upgrade if Logos 6 could still work while resources were being downloaded and wouldn't require a restart.

Well, I just finished paying off my Portfolio edition of Logos 5 so it will be some time before I make the move to Logos 6.

My crossgrade (I tool have Portfolio) is going to cost $200. Just waiting until I've saved a bit for that.

I have seen features touting slides and animations, and visual media. Is there anything in the update that makes it worthwhile besides those features (which to me are fluff, and I would never touch).

The upgrade or even crossgrade prices are pretty steep for what you get at the moment. I saw a big jump from 4->5 (especially since 4 was broken more often than not, at least on the Mac).

I just haven't seen much compelling to upgrade to 6, even though it has been hyped a lot. Maybe the features that are really interesting are being hidden under the glitz and glamour of slides and animations? Logos 5 has been remarkably more stable than 4. However, it seems like I have to restart my copy almost every day because resources have been updated. That is annoying, and might be worth an upgrade if Logos 6 could still work while resources were being downloaded and wouldn't require a restart.

Bible Background

Ancient Literature tool
Explore the Bible’s background by connecting Scripture to ancient literature. Connect the texts based on references, allusions, and shared themes.

Atlas
Connect Bible stories with their geography. Get scalable maps marked with ancient sites and cities, and zoom in and out to reveal more information.

Cultural Concepts
Reveal cultural concepts in Scripture, including religious activities, food, music, death practices, marriage rituals, economic structures, and more.

Factbook
This is your one-stop shop for biblical information: get instant information on biblical people, places, things, events, and cultural concepts.

Timeline
Explore Scripture in its historical context with the new and improved Timeline. Filter results by locations, people, events, and more.

Bible Book Guides
Get instant information on every book in the Bible. Learn about the authorship, genre, setting, form, content, and more for all 66 Bible books.

Factbook Notable People
Access key information on Bible characters and theologians. See short biographies, famous quotes, important works, key events, and more.

Visual Tools

Atlas
Connect Bible stories with their geography. Get scalable maps marked with ancient sites and cities, and zoom in and out to reveal more information.

Bible Text Only
Read the Bible in its original format. This visual filter toggles navigation markers on and off, so you can read Scripture as an extended narrative.

Visual Copy
Create beautiful slides in seconds. Select any text or image and instantly convert it into an image for engaging presentations and social-media posts.

Graph Search Results
See how many times a given work appears in the Bible (or any of its books), and graph your findings with a click.

Text Comparison
Compare any two texts side by side, including any combination of parallel Bibles.

Visual Filters
Toggle visual filters to show Community Notes, speaker tags, notes, and chapter and page numbers in your open resources.

Counting the 10 Commandments
See how different traditions arrange and interpret the Ten Commandments. Toggle the Hebrew text on and off, and view the commandments on tablet infographics.

Greek & Hebrew Alphabet Tutors
Learn to write and pronounce Greek and Hebrew, and get scores on your accuracy so you always know how to improve.

Hebrew Cantillation
Cantillation marks group together Hebrew text, so whether you’re reading the text aloud or to yourself, you’ll see how words and phrases fit together.

Highlighting
Highlight any text in any resource with a variety of colors and styles.

Interactive Media
Do more engaging study with interactive tools. Learn with calculators, converters, virtual tours, interactive infographics, language tutors, and more.

Logos Media
Access 3-D flyovers of biblical places, fine art, professionally designed presentation templates, beautiful Bible-verse art, and detailed infographics.

Online Media
Quickly find the best online media. Our editorial staff has preselected the best online results, so you can quickly and safely search for images.

Proverbs Browser
Filter Proverbs by people, form, theme, or topic. Browse topics that interest you, then sort the Proverbs that address that topic for easy skimming.

Psalm Browser
Find answers in the Psalms—fast. Filter the Psalms by author, genre, theme, and more, and reveal the poetic structure of Hebrew poetry.

Word Find Puzzle
Puzzles are a fun way to remember key words and expand your vocabulary. Use these to take a break from your study or share in Sunday school.

Search
Inline Search
Do smart searches—in English, Greek, and Hebrew—within your Bible. Inline Search transforms your reverse interlinear into a powerful search tool.
Searching the Bible just got a lot easier. With the new Inline Search you can do advanced searching within individual resources, so you don’t have to open additional panels.
For example, search every time “humility” appears in your Bible, then highlight and take notes within your search results—treating them like you would an actual resource. Search individual resources by verse, morphology, paragraph, and more, and get a clickable list of relevant passages. You can also search English, Greek, and Hebrew words.

Inline Search streamlines your study so you can find what you need—fast.

Journals Section
Search all of your scholarly journals at once. Search a verse in your guides, and get a list of search results pulled from all of your journals.

Books.Logos.com
Explore over 8,000 classic works that have been scanned and turned into digital resources. With a click, add these titles to your Logos library.

Everything Search
Search your entire library with a click. This tool combines all your high-powered search tools, giving you everything you need to start your study.

Labels
Add searchable and shareable labels to your notes and highlights, so you can connect ideas across your library and share your findings with others.

Wikipedia
Search the largest online encyclopedia within Logos. Take notes in the search panel, and copy and paste any article to automatically cite the source.

Clause Search
Logos 6 knows what words mean and how they’re used. Search the Bible by part or clause, and Logos brings back exactly what you’re looking for.

Factbook
This is your one-stop shop for biblical information: get instant information on biblical people, places, things, events, and cultural concepts.

Media Search
Get all the media you need, all in one place. With a click, search every map, image, video, infographic, and family tree—in your library and online.

Autocomplete
Start typing a word and get suggestions for interesting areas of study, so you always have new concepts to explore.

Bible Search
Search your resources for Greek words—no Greek keyboard required. Find specific translations or words in proximity to a Bible reference.

Cited By
Logos 6 builds your bibliography for you. Copy and paste from any Logos resource, and your sources are cited for you in the style of your choice.

Collections
Create personalized book collections, and your Passage Guide will include a section of results only pulled from your collections.

Explorer
Get instant Bible facts, cross-references, media, and other content related to the biblical text you’re reading.

Graph Search Results
See how many times a given work appears in the Bible (or any of its books), and graph your findings with a click.

Information Panel
Get an instant overview of any biblical word’s usage and translation without leaving your Bible.

Morph Search
Search for original-language words by their lemma, morphological form, or surface form, and narrow your search according to your needs.

Passage Guide
Get fast, comprehensive information on any passage—commentary notes, cross-references, scholarly articles, cultural concepts, images, and more.

Power Lookup
Automatically display and expand all visible verse references in your open book. You’ll see them all without moving your mouse.

Searching
Get smarter, more precise search results with Logos 6.

Syntax Search
Search for specific original-language words without typing in Greek or Hebrew. No need to know the words’ linguistic forms—or even what they’re called.

Visual Filters
Toggle visual filters to show Community Notes, speaker tags, notes, and chapter and page numbers in your open resources.

Bookstore
Shop new resources on Logos.com and download them straight to your library.

Command Box
Get instant access to Logos tools and execute specific demands. Perform searches, open resources, change settings, or execute tools.

Bible Book Guides
Get instant information on every book in the Bible. Learn about the authorship, genre, setting, form, content, and more for all 66 Bible books.

Factbook Notable People
Access key information on Bible characters and theologians. See short biographies, famous quotes, important works, key events, and more.

Highlighting
Highlight any text in any resource with a variety of colors and styles.

Word Lists
Discover recurring themes or subjects throughout a biblical passage by counting Greek and Hebrew words in a chapter or section.

Greek and Hebrew
Inline Search
Do smart searches—in English, Greek, and Hebrew—within your Bible. Inline Search transforms your reverse interlinear into a powerful search tool.

Textual Variants tool
Explore differences across ancient Bible translations. Get commentaries, manuscripts, modern editions, and ancient versions all in one place.
Thousands of variants exist within the Bible—from word choice to spelling differences to omissions, the new Textual Variants tool lets you quickly explore the textual differences across ancient Bible translations.
Get everything you need for textual-variant study, all in one place: see overviews of textual variants with textual commentaries, compare primary texts with modern Bible editions, study original manuscripts, and view scanned photos of original Bible texts.

Clause Participants Section
Explore Scripture’s underlying meaning: discover where people, places, and things occur in a clause both grammatically and semantically.

Clause Search
Logos 6 knows what words mean and how they’re used. Search the Bible by part or clause, and Logos brings back exactly what you’re looking for.

Sense Section
See all the alternate meanings of Greek, Hebrew, and English words, where they occur in Scripture, and how frequently they’re used.

Bible Search
Search your resources for Greek words—no Greek keyboard required. Find specific translations or words in proximity to a Bible reference.

Bible Word Study Guide
See any biblical word’s roots and meanings. Explore graphs detailing your word’s usage, translation, etymology, and connection to other words.

Cited By
Logos 6 builds your bibliography for you. Copy and paste from any Logos resource, and your sources are cited for you in the style of your choice.

Context Menu
Right click any text selection for a list of key features and data. From there, you can build slides, display lemmas, see cultural themes, and more.

Exegetical Guide
Know the Bible in its original languages. Perform word studies, follow complex sentences, and get comfortable with Greek and Hebrew pronunciation.

Information Panel
Get an instant overview of any biblical word’s usage and translation without leaving your Bible.

Lexicon Alignment
Restructure your lexicons into an easy-to-read outline, so you get the information you need fast.

Morph Search
Search for original-language words by their lemma, morphological form, or surface form, and narrow your search according to your needs.

Passage Analysis
See on-the-spot graphs and word charts explaining any Bible passage and how that passage differs between translations.

Pronunciation
Learn to pronounce biblical Greek with helpful pronunciation sound clips.

Reverse Interlinears
See word-by-word comparisons across translations, and access Strong’s numbers, the Bible Sense Lexicon, and Bible Word Study with just a click.

Sentence Diagrams
Create new English, Greek, or Hebrew sentence diagrams for your presentation or research paper.

Sympathetic Highlighting
When you’re reading an English Bible and a Greek Bible side by side, highlight a phrase in the English text and see it lit up in the Greek.

Text Comparison
Compare any two texts side by side, including any combination of parallel Bibles.

Greek & Hebrew Alphabet Tutors
Learn to write and pronounce Greek and Hebrew, and get scores on your accuracy so you always know how to improve.

Interlinear Explorers
Do better Greek and Hebrew study—without the degree. Learn to use interlinears and reverse interlinears with interactive, step-by-step tutorials.

Morph Charts
Enter a lemma, and Morph Chart populates an easy-to-read chart that shows all the forms of that lemma in the New Testament, as well as their frequency.

Prepositional Use Section
This section of the Bible Word Study tool shows all the occurrences where your selected word is used with a preposition in an interactive graph.

Root Section
This section of the Bible Word Study tool helps you better understand Greek and Hebrew by showing similar words that share the same root.

Septuagint Translation Section
See the Septuagint translation of biblical words in your Bible Word Study tool, so you can explore how the word was used in an older translation.

Text Converter
Convert Greek and Hebrew text in seconds! Just copy and paste the text and the Text Converter transforms it into a variety of transliteration schemes.

Word by Word Section
See a word-by-word breakdown of every Bible passage in your Exegetical Guide, including its voice, case, mood, tense, senses, and alternative translations.

Guides
Journals Section
Search all of your scholarly journals at once. Search a verse in your guides, and get a list of search results pulled from all of your journals.

Clause Participants Section
Explore Scripture’s underlying meaning: discover where people, places, and things occur in a clause both grammatically and semantically.
The Clause Participants section classifies people, places, and things by how they relate to the action of the clause—not just its sentence structure. Discover where people, places, and things occur in a clause both grammatically and semantically.
For example, when you look up “to heal,” you’ll find everyone who participated in the healing, including subjects and objects. If you search this verb associated with Peter, you’ll see when Peter was healed and when Peter did heal—revealing passages when he was both the subject and object.
This new tool also includes referent tagging, so you can find instances where a particular verb appears with a specific subject, even when that subject is only referred to as a pronoun, not explicitly named.

Bible Word Study Guide
See any biblical word’s roots and meanings. Explore graphs detailing your word’s usage, translation, etymology, and connection to other words.

Custom Guides
Create a custom guide that presents search results in categories relevant to you.

Exegetical Guide
Know the Bible in its original languages. Perform word studies, follow complex sentences, and get comfortable with Greek and Hebrew pronunciation.

Passage Guide
Get fast, comprehensive information on any passage—commentary notes, cross-references, scholarly articles, cultural concepts, images, and more.

Sermon Starter Guide
Brainstorm sermon ideas in seconds. Enter a passage or topic and get a list of related verses, commentaries, outlines, sermons, and visuals.

Topic Guide
See what the Bible says about important issues. Connect biblical topics to key passages, articles, and profiles of related people, places, and events.

Cross-References
This section of the Passage Guide pulls together all of the cross-references of a particular verse and returns a list of clickable resource links.

Literary Typing
See the literary genre of every verse or passage, including genres like poetry, narrative, Gospel, and more.

Parallel Passages Section
Some biblical events are recorded multiple times; find and compare these parallel accounts with ease by searching a verse in your Passage Guide.

This section of the Bible Word Study tool shows all the occurrences where your selected word is used with a preposition in an interactive graph.

Septuagint Translation Section
See the Septuagint translation of biblical words in your Bible Word Study tool, so you can explore how the word was used in an older translation.

Sermon Collections Section
Explore classic sermons by your favorite pastors with ease. Search any verse, and your guide results will show all relevant sermons in your library.

Thematic Outlines Section
Get outlines of the major themes in a given passage, along with cross-references, and easily export them to Word, PowerPoint, or Proclaim.

Semantics
Propositional Flow Outline
Reformat Bible text into a flow outline that labels the purpose of each line in the Greek New Testament.

Labels
Add searchable and shareable labels to your notes and highlights, so you can connect ideas across your library and share your findings with others.
Label Entry makes note-taking, sharing, and searching your findings more simple than ever. With Label Entry, you can add searchable and shareable labels to your notes and highlights for easy recollection. Create custom labels, like “narrative,” “prayer,” and “prophecy,” then group your notes under these categories. Label Entry offers an easy way to catalog your findings and share them with your class, study group, or church.

Bible Sense Lexicon
See how word meanings relate, and identify the contextual meanings of Greek and Hebrew words.

Morph Charts
Enter a lemma, and Morph Chart populates an easy-to-read chart that shows all the forms of that lemma in the New Testament, as well as their frequency.

Semantic Roles & Case Frames
Go beyond simple grammar: see the semantic role, or underlying relationship, a participant has with a verb, even if it’s not mentioned by name.

Word by Word Section
See a word-by-word breakdown of every Bible passage in your Exegetical Guide, including its voice, case, mood, tense, senses, and alternative translations.

Library
Bible Text Only
Read the Bible in its original format. This visual filter toggles navigation markers on and off, so you can read Scripture as an extended narrative.

Books.Logos.com
Explore over 8,000 classic works that have been scanned and turned into digital resources. With a click, add these titles to your Logos library.

Send to Kindle
Buy a resource once, and read it anywhere! With Logos 6, you can send your favorite Logos resources to your Amazon Kindle device.

Automatic Citation
Logos 6 cites your sources in your preferred style. Copy and paste from any Logos resource, and your software starts building your bibliography for you. You can also select resources from your browsing history to cite.

Bibliography Builder
Logos 6 builds your bibliography for you. When you’re done studying, Logos instantly creates a bibliography you can annotate and export.