Logos Bible Software Devices Survey

Status
Not open for further replies.

biblesword

Puritan Board Freshman
I've been on a technological journey to try to get Logos 10 running on an 8-inch tablet and thought it might be useful to some people. I get distracted easily and reading things such as the old English-style wording of Matthew Henry is sometimes difficult if my device is distracting me. It just feels more relaxing on something the size of a book. I don't use paper books because I like to jump around quickly when exploring a theological concept. I'm also a fan of continuous scrolling. I like to scroll very rapidly through Bible passages or commentaries. Unfortunately, I have discovered that this is not actually something that is achievable to the degree that I want. Here are my experiences:

2018 Ipad Pro 11 (~$400 used): runs logos perfectly. It has a 120hz refresh rate so it is as smooth as butter and very fast. This is the closest I've found to my ideal 8-inch tablet reading experience.

2021 ipad mini: runs logos perfectly except the "jelly scrolling" issue is too distracting.

iphone mini 12: runs logos perfectly. smooth as butter and fast.

Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th generation: stutters a little bit when scrolling which is distracting.

Legion Y700 Tablet: available only in China. 120hz refresh rate. Ran with the "global rom" and CRDroid ROMs. Logos is pretty fast but when you scroll it stutters, jumps around, and is distracting. This is for both Faithlife E-Books and Logos.

Ipad Mini 2: too slow to run Logos at this point. IOS 12 cripples it for almost anything except playing video.

Home Desktop: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 GB Ram, Windows 10 Home, NVidia 2060 RTX Video Card: runs Logos perfectly

Bottom Line: If you run a fairly new IOS device or PC then Logos will run very quickly and smoothly. If you run Android, it doesn't matter how new or fast it is: it will always stutter and skip around. It seems that Logos barely supports Android. I think it has something to do with how Logos preloads portions of the books. The next generation of ipad mini is rumored to run a 120hz display that will fix the "jelly scrolling" issue.

ipad pro 2018 here too. used runs 400-500.
apple m1 chip laptops run logos flawlessly. speed has peaked and you will not anticipate anything much faster even in future

I just bought an Apple Mac Mini M2, and it runs it all great. I can't wait for Logos to release the free basic version of Logos 10 so I can take advantage of the Silicon chip with it.

Running Logos on a MacBook Pro M2 (24 GB) & Mac Studio (32 GB) both perfect - also running it (along with OliveTree and Accordance) on an iPad Mini 6th gen. with no problems at all, and I read daily, a number of times per day.

I actually was not aware of the iPad Mini problem and had to look it up - the video I watched seemed like it required the reader to frantically swipe the screen dozens of times before producing the flaw. Perhaps that's why I have not had the problem. I would guess the next generation display will probably resolve this as the jump from the last iPad Mini was significant.

If you are looking for a Reader, try the Boox E-Ink tablets. People I have come into contact with them cant praise them enough. Plus, since it is E-Ink instead of the glow of a tablet; it is easy on the eyes. They run about $300-$700.

If you are looking for a Reader, try the Boox E-Ink tablets. People I have come into contact with them cant praise them enough. Plus, since it is E-Ink instead of the glow of a tablet; it is easy on the eyes. They run about $300-$700.
I really like the appearance of this device for PDF reading in particular (which is such a need given so many available documents and books). I cannot tell for certain but it appears the use of Google Drive is possible, but a workaround, though I could be wrong on this. For reading, notetaking, and highlighting PDFs on the iPad I use GoodReader as it paginates well and syncs seamlessly with Google Drive and iCloud. So the PDF works like a Kindle doc where any highlight, etc. on the computer or any device is synced across all devices. I have used this extensively for research. The downside, of course, is the glossy screen on the iPad.

Running Logos on a MacBook Pro M2 (24 GB) & Mac Studio (32 GB) both perfect - also running it (along with OliveTree and Accordance) on an iPad Mini 6th gen. with no problems at all, and I read daily, a number of times per day.

I actually was not aware of the iPad Mini problem and had to look it up - the video I watched seemed like it required the reader to frantically swipe the screen dozens of times before producing the flaw. Perhaps that's why I have not had the problem. I would guess the next generation display will probably resolve this as the jump from the last iPad Mini was significant.
The jelly scrolling is something that people either seem to see or they don’t. It’s very obvious to me - looks like the window is elastic. To me, it’s like the very serious book I’m reading bounces around like some sort of circus clown show. I do tend to scroll rapidly and stop suddenly because I’m trying to navigate to specific areas of a text particularly with the Bible.

I have an M1 Pro for work, and it put my 2018 Intel Macbook Pro to shame when using Logos. I ended up selling it and getting a new M2 Max. I use the laptop for most paper writing, and my iPad for reading. I think Logos has an awful set up on mobile for searching, but it works very well with reading particularly the text to speech functionality.

I have an M1 Pro for work, and it put my 2018 Intel Macbook Pro to shame when using Logos. I ended up selling it and getting a new M2 Max. I use the laptop for most paper writing, and my iPad for reading. I think Logos has an awful set up on mobile for searching, but it works very well with reading particularly the text to speech functionality.
M2 Max? do you do heavy editing on videos etc?

I bet it would be great for reading but since it’s android-based it would still exhibit choppiness when running logos. If that isn’t an issue for some people I bet it would be a good choice.

I bet it would be great for reading but since it’s android-based it would still exhibit choppiness when running logos. If that isn’t an issue for some people I bet it would be a good choice.
Everybody I have talked to who has had Logos on it says it works awesome. I do not presently own one so I have to take their word about it. Logos runs fine on my Android phone, dont see why it would be an issue with a tablet.

Everybody I have talked to who has had Logos on it says it works awesome. I do not presently own one so I have to take their word about it. Logos runs fine on my Android phone, dont see why it would be an issue with a tablet.
That’s really surprising to me that it runs well on your phone. I thought it would run well on my flagship tablet but there’s way too much stuttering when I scroll. I’ve had a similar experience on other android tablets I tried. Maybe it works differently for android phones? Does it stutter when you scroll at all? Or do you use page turn mode?

This reflects my experience: https://community.logos.com/forums/t/125003.aspx

That’s great there’s an e-ink solution. That lag would drive me crazy though! Maybe I just need more patience
Yeah, it would be hard, but that is by design. This type of screen, which reads just like a piece of paper, cannot have a high refresh rate. This tablet is designed to read, not watch videos or anything like that. I really want one, honestly. If anyone on the board is feeling generous... ;)

That’s great there’s an e-ink solution. That lag would drive me crazy though! Maybe I just need more patience
It is a niche buy that is not meant to be THE portable solution for logos in my opinion. It is not an alternative to an iPad. I can only envision someone who has both a pc and tablet getting this as a luxury item. If I get it, it would be for me to squeeze in a half hour of puritan reading in bed. No crazy highlighting or Greek word searches. It is essentially having a kindle eink device to have access to your logos library.

Yeah, it would be hard, but that is by design. This type of screen, which reads just like a piece of paper, cannot have a high refresh rate. This tablet is designed to read, not watch videos or anything like that. I really want one, honestly. If anyone on the board is feeling generous... ;)
If you are ever serious about it, ebay has some good deals from time to time...

I use an M1 iPad 12.9, the new iPad mini, and an M1 MacBook Pro. Reading on the MacBook is annoying, it’s too far from me. On the iPad it’s great, but it doesn’t have all the functionality. Logos needs to port the desktop to mobile with the additional feature of using the apple pencil. It’s almost there with the new draw on screen feature and Scribble, but not yet.

For years I have marveled at no option for a low-resolution electronic paper version of the iPad (or similar device). In other words, all I want is a tablet with the power and app availability of an iPad, but the screen of a high-end Kindle Paper. But from the point of view of Apple or any large firm, it's a simple business decision: relative to total device sales, there is NO DEMAND for serious reading. However, there is always the possibility.

I use an M1 iPad 12.9, the new iPad mini, and an M1 MacBook Pro. Reading on the MacBook is annoying, it’s too far from me. On the iPad it’s great, but it doesn’t have all the functionality. Logos needs to port the desktop to mobile with the additional feature of using the apple pencil. It’s almost there with the new draw on screen feature and Scribble, but not yet.
Decent monitors with sharp resolution for reading are cheap now. 100-200 can get you a decent one. I got a 4K 27 inch for 220. It has the same sharpness you would get on the MacBook.

I've been on a technological journey to try to get Logos 10 running on an 8-inch tablet and thought it might be useful to some people. I get distracted easily and reading things such as the old English-style wording of Matthew Henry is sometimes difficult if my device is distracting me. It just feels more relaxing on something the size of a book. I don't use paper books because I like to jump around quickly when exploring a theological concept. I'm also a fan of continuous scrolling. I like to scroll very rapidly through Bible passages or commentaries. Unfortunately, I have discovered that this is not actually something that is achievable to the degree that I want. Here are my experiences:

2018 Ipad Pro 11 (~$400 used): runs logos perfectly. It has a 120hz refresh rate so it is as smooth as butter and very fast. This is the closest I've found to my ideal 8-inch tablet reading experience.

2021 ipad mini: runs logos perfectly except the "jelly scrolling" issue is too distracting.

iphone mini 12: runs logos perfectly. smooth as butter and fast.

Lenovo X1 Carbon 5th generation: stutters a little bit when scrolling which is distracting.

Legion Y700 Tablet: available only in China. 120hz refresh rate. Ran with the "global rom" and CRDroid ROMs. Logos is pretty fast but when you scroll it stutters, jumps around, and is distracting. This is for both Faithlife E-Books and Logos.

Ipad Mini 2: too slow to run Logos at this point. IOS 12 cripples it for almost anything except playing video.

Home Desktop: Ryzen 5 3600, 32 GB Ram, Windows 10 Home, NVidia 2060 RTX Video Card: runs Logos perfectly

Bottom Line: If you run a fairly new IOS device or PC then Logos will run very quickly and smoothly. If you run Android, it doesn't matter how new or fast it is: it will always stutter and skip around. It seems that Logos barely supports Android. I think it has something to do with how Logos preloads portions of the books. The next generation of ipad mini is rumored to run a 120hz display that will fix the "jelly scrolling" issue.
I discovered some settings in Developer Options for the Android Tablet that really improves the scrolling experience for Logos:

1) set animation scale to 1.5x for all three options
2) set background process limit to no background processes (I read default is 20)

Now scrolling feels tolerable. It is still nowhere near as smooth as an Apple device but it's not so distracting that I can barely use it.

Decent monitors with sharp resolution for reading are cheap now. 100-200 can get you a decent one. I got a 4K 27 inch for 220. It has the same sharpness you would get on the MacBook.
I know that. I do video editing for a living. But Bible study and reading should be tacticle something in your hand. I don’t like staring at something and typing notes when I study, I want to write stuff down. The ipad and logos mobile almost have it. Almost.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back