Logos packages higher than Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

Polanus1561

Puritan Board Junior
How worth it are they for a typical MDiv student? I am thinking of upgrading higher from Gold, but the question is how high..

Surely, more books the merrier. I started out w the first tiered books. It becomes a bit obsessive. I now own the Reformed Portfolio edition.

Buying in bits and pieces is much more costly. I found, making payments monthly and just working it into my family’s budget , doable.

As well, Matt McMahon has a slu of books at cheaper than what Logos offers, he makes available, that u can load into your ‘personal’ books section on Logos that is a no brained. Most of what he offers isn’t even on Logos!

Last edited:
Surely, more books the merrier. I started out w the first tiered books. It becomes a bit obsessive. I now own the Reformed Portfolio edition.

Buying in bits and pieces is much more costly. I found, making payments monthly and just working it into my family’s budget , doable.

As well, Matt McMahon has a slu of books at cheaper than what Logis offers, he makes available, that you can load into your ‘personal’ books section on Logos that is a no brained. Most of what he offers isn’t even on Logos!

Thanks for the input... Looking at Reformed Portfolio.. It does have a lot of good works but it lacks modern Day reformed works (Kostenberger, Beale etc) which I would need to get for my courses. The journals look tempting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same boat. I have been fighting Logos as I love tangible books. I think I have to give in now that I am starting seminary. It is a bit overwhelming trying to pick a package. I am leaning towards the Reformed Portfolio but it is lacking in some aspects. The prices make me cringe but the academic discount makes it a bit more palatable. I almost caved just for the packages by McMahon. What Logos functions are available to non-Logos books that the user imports?

I have the free app, and a select few bought from them. Lots of material free with the reading app. If I knew then, what I know now, I would have bought one of the packages and, though I love hard copies, I'd have spent less money, and have way more space.

In my experience, I am not sure the expensive packages would have helped me a lot with papers. Most of my class paper sources consisted of a broad spectrum of more modern commentaries (which I used from my collection and moreso from a local university) and journal articles which I attained from free access to the ATLA database.

I am in the process of building my Logos library now and have found a few ways to save money:

- Get all the features via the monthly Faithlife Connect service. Learn Logos via Tutorials and get a good grip on what features I really would use to see if continuing to pay monthly makes sense.

- Once you have the monthly Faithlife Connect, the dynamic pricing reduces prices on the base packages. To pick up Bible versions I wanted access to, I purchased the Logos 8 starter library and Baptist starter library. Both were around $20 dynamically priced for me. I also bought the Reformed Bronze Library upgrade for around $85 mainly for access to Calvin's Commentaries and the works of John Owen.

- Additionally, I have been finding works for free online, mostly in PDF, and then converting them to docx via free online converters and then adding them to Logos. They typically have errors, broken up sentences here and there, and don't translate Greek and Hebrew well but most are just fine. If I feel they are not suitable in the future for my needs, I may upgrade to a Logos version.

- My Logos buying plan is to wait and see what I need. You can go crazy with buying packages and then get a lot of stuff you don't end up using. They pad those packages with a lot of fluff you may never use to get the price higher.

In my experience, I am not sure the expensive packages would have helped me a lot with papers. Most of my class paper sources consisted of a broad spectrum of more modern commentaries (which I used from my collection and moreso from a local university) and journal articles which I attained from free access to the ATLA database.

I am in the process of building my Logos library now and have found a few ways to save money:

- Get all the features via the monthly Faithlife Connect service. Learn Logos via Tutorials and get a good grip on what features I really would use to see if continuing to pay monthly makes sense.

- Once you have the monthly Faithlife Connect, the dynamic pricing reduces prices on the base packages. To pick up Bible versions I wanted access to, I purchased the Logos 8 starter library and Baptist starter library. Both were around $20 dynamically priced for me. I also bought the Reformed Bronze Library upgrade for around $85 mainly for access to Calvin's Commentaries and the works of John Owen.

- Additionally, I have been finding works for free online, mostly in PDF, and then converting them to docx via free online converters and then adding them to Logos. They typically have errors, broken up sentences here and there, and don't translate Greek and Hebrew well but most are just fine. If I feel they are not suitable in the future for my needs, I may upgrade to a Logos version.

- My Logos buying plan is to wait and see what I need. You can go crazy with buying packages and then get a lot of stuff you don't end up using. They pad those packages with a lot of fluff you may never use to get the price higher.

Exactly. On top of the steep cost one would have to still buy the books required for courses

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

John, don't forget that PRTS will get you access to the entire ATLA database, as well as a few others, that will give you access to by far and away the best of the journals.

Get all the features via the monthly Faithlife Connect service. Learn Logos via Tutorials and get a good grip on what features I really would use to see if continuing to pay monthly makes sense.

Thank you for this advice! I finally caved and purchased Logos last night. You saved me a lot of money. I went with Reformed Silver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back