long suffering and merciful???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scott Shahan

Puritan Board Sophomore
When it comes to habitual sinning and relationships/friendships. How long are we suppose to be merciful and long suffering? I know we all sin, but I am trying to ask when do you kind of take a stand against someone elses sinfulness? Do I or should I stick my nose into someone elses business? I know some of you would like me to be specific but I am not going to be. What is the difference between me being "supportive" to a person who is struggling with sin, or me sending the wrong message that your sin is ok. This is a "tough Love" question. I don't want to sin by supporting someone or encouraging them in their sin. Ok, I know I am not being very clear.......I have a friend that battles with drunkeness, I have tried to help him many times and be there for him. I know that there is all kinds of sinning going on with church members, and I am no exception to the rule. If I get on someones case about their sin then they can do the same to me. I guess I am asking how do you deal with sin. I know someone will say Repent! I understand that. If I say "your sin is unacceptable they can then say the same thing about my sin". So do I just keep my mouth shut and mind my own business? I am sure all of us have been in these kind of situations before. If I keep being a "supportive, and a understanding" friend and there is no change am I really helping this person?? Ok I tried to explain and hopefully you understand what I am asking...:um:

Scott Shahan;

Yes, the guilt of "but they will call me on my own sin" rings strong here, so what is that saying to you? That you should take that before God, removing the log from your own eye so to speak. What is preventing you from doing that?

Do you hang out with your brother when he is getting drunk? If so, then stop, set boundaries from that end. If he is calling you or coming by your house when he is drunk, then ask him to stop. Let him know that as long as he is drunk you do not want to associate with him.

Talk to him about why he feels the need to get drunk, what is it (if anything) he is trying to run and hide from in his own life? What hurts is he trying to numb away by staying drunk?

Most people who drink to get drunk do so in order to try and bury deep hurts,
so maybe try and get him to talk about those, and share how God can heal those hurts.

Scott Shahan;

Yes, the guilt of "but they will call me on my own sin" rings strong here, so what is that saying to you? That you should take that before God, removing the log from your own eye so to speak. What is preventing you from doing that?

Do you hang out with your brother when he is getting drunk? If so, then stop, set boundaries from that end. If he is calling you or coming by your house when he is drunk, then ask him to stop. Let him know that as long as he is drunk you do not want to associate with him.

Talk to him about why he feels the need to get drunk, what is it (if anything) he is trying to run and hide from in his own life? What hurts is he trying to numb away by staying drunk?

Most people who drink to get drunk do so in order to try and bury deep hurts,
so maybe try and get him to talk about those, and share how God can heal those hurts.

this is what I was wondering,

"Let him know that as long as he is drunk you do not want to associate with him."

He will come and talk to me about God and then he will go get drunk. :coffee:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back