Looking for a church in North Arkansas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Santos

Puritan Board Freshman
I need a little help. We are taking my mom to meet her long lost sister on the 4th of July weekend in Mountainview Arkansas. We are hoping to find a Reformed church near by
We would prefer Reformed Baptist but as long as it is Reformed we will be happy. Anyone know of a good church in the area.

Hey Santos, I just did some church locator searches (do not know of any personally). I checked OPC, RPCna, PCA and a reformed baptist church locator (says they subscribe to the 1689 LBCF) and man, it looks like you'll be in a dry area, unfortunately : ( The nearest reformed church I could find out of all of those would be in Conway--and it's an hour and a half drive from Mountainview to Conway according to google maps (there's a reformed baptist church there).

I hope someone can come along who knows the area who can point to something more local than that.

I don't think you'll find anything within an hour and a half drive.

Looks like the options are fundamentalist or evangelical. On a one-off basis, I'd probably try First Baptist. I'd steer clear of First Presbyterian. It describes itself as a 'welcoming church' which is code for pro-homosexual theology.

Thank you all for your suggestions. It would appear that we are going to have to settle for First Baptist. My mother is not a believer, though she thinks that she is, and my Aunt, whom I've never met, says that she is. However, she seems to be attending a charismatic congregation, and that is out of the question. I want to be able to encourage my mom to repent and believe the Gospel while we are there, so I don't want to confuse her with some off the wall charismania. I would not mind traveling that distance with my wife and children but I think that it is a little far for a couple of elderly ladies who have never met, one 73 and the other 84, who have only a couple of days to spend together.

I don't think you'll find anything within an hour and a half drive.

Looks like the options are fundamentalist or evangelical. On a one-off basis, I'd probably try First Baptist. I'd steer clear of First Presbyterian. It describes itself as a 'welcoming church' which is code for pro-homosexual theology.
Yes, I was hopeful at first until I read their "about us".

Thank you all for your suggestions. It would appear that we are going to have to settle for First Baptist. My mother is not a believer, though she thinks that she is, and my Aunt, whom I've never met, says that she is. However, she seems to be attending a charismatic congregation, and that is out of the question. I want to be able to encourage my mom to repent and believe the Gospel while we are there, so I don't want to confuse her with some off the wall charismania. I would not mind traveling that distance with my wife and children but I think that it is a little far for a couple of elderly ladies who have never met, one 73 and the other 84, who have only a couple of days to spend together.
Hello, Santos,

Ironically I am looking for a Reformed church for my mother who lives in Mountain View as well. Small world! She drives to Mountain Home currently, to a Master's Seminary-associated church. Would you consider replying with your experience at First Baptist after you attend?

Hope the teaching is edifying.

Hello, Santos,

Ironically I am looking for a Reformed church for my mother who lives in Mountain View as well. Small world! She drives to Mountain Home currently, to a Master's Seminary-associated church. Would you consider replying with your experience at First Baptist after you attend?

Hope the teaching is edifying.
Hello DKerrigan,

It is a small world indeed! I will absolutely reply if that is where we go. But would you mind telling me the name of the church in Mountain Home?

I've found that the SermonAudio church finder is helpful at times too. Some Calvinistic Baptist churches that are on there may not be on the other sites for one reason or another. I don't think it's helpful in this case though. There is a church within a half hour, but the denomination is "Missionary Baptist," which usually means Landmarker. I've been to a couple of those that actually proved to be somewhat worthwhile, but I doubt it's worth driving a half hour to find out in this case.

Grace Church of Bull Shoals (subscribes to the 1689) appears to be about an hour and a half away.

Last edited:
but the denomination is "Missionary Baptist," which usually means Landmarker.
It also means predominately Black in my experience. Which can be fine, or get your the side-eye if you are Cauc, depending on circumstances.

It also means predominately Black in my experience. Which can be fine, or get your the side-eye if you are Cauc, depending on circumstances.

That was my impression growing up. It changed when I saw white people going into a more rural Missionary Baptist Church. In more urban areas though what you say is probably more likely to be true.

I think the term Missionary Baptist is in contrast to Primitive Baptist (Anti-Missionary boards.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That was my impression growing up. It changed when I saw white people going into a more rural Missionary Baptist Church. In more urban areas though what you say is probably more likely to be true.

I think the term Missionary Baptist is in contrast to Primitive Baptist (Anti-Missionary boards.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My (white) grandmother grew up Missionary Baptist in NC. Her family moved there after being Primitive Baptist and wanting the kids in Sunday School, which the PBs did not do in the 20s and 30s. I think the ethnic make-up of Missionary Baptists varies regionally.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back