Looking for a Reformed Church in southeastern Wisconsin

Status
Not open for further replies.

retroGRAD3

Puritan Board Senior
This may be a shot in the dark, but I thought I would throw this question out there. Being raised in a non-denominational mega church, I have in the past few years come fully into the reformed understanding of Scripture (consequently, it is only in the last few years I truly started to read my Bible in earnest and now can't stop seeing the doctrines of grace and God's absolute sovereignty everywhere). I went from a synergist to monergist and dispensationalist to Amill on some days and Post Mill on others, both have pretty good arguments from scripture. One thing I am sure on though is dispensationalism makes absolutely NO SENSE. In any case, I could list many more things my views have changed on.

The other more pressing issue though, is that while I try and show charity to my synergist brothers and sisters, the preaching at these types of churches is really starting to affect me. I am not trying to be a legalist, but I find myself disagreeing so much lately with what is being preached. Constant preaching on universal atonement, "accept Jesus into your life/give Jesus a chance", never preaching on Romans 8-9, or even the book of John because of the implications.

Position wise, I would consider myself a reformed baptist, holding and agreeing to the 1689 LBC. However, it does not look like there are any reformed baptist churches in my area, at least not an easy way to search for one. At this point, I would be open to trying out ANY conservative reformed church, including the Presbyterian side of aisle.

in my area
Southeastern Wisconsin? That's also called suburban Chicago, isn't it?

Back to your question:

Covenant Reformed Baptist, Woodstock, IL looks like the closest.
There may be an OPC in Janesville, WI, and perhaps one in Grayslake, IL. With an ARP showing in Prarieview, IL

Anything else is going to be up toward suburban Milwaukee - an ARBCA and an OPC in New Berlin look to be the closest.

Having bothered to look where you actually are, the offerings in New Berlin should work; there are a couple of PCA churches closer that I don't know anything about, and there is another OPC at Menomonee Falls. I'd recommend starting with the OPC in Menomonee Falls https://fallsopc.org/

Looks like the one in New Berlin doesn't have a web page - they have a web link that only goes to a Sermon Audio site. Not a good sign - either a struggling church or one that doesn't want new members. http://www.covenant-opc.org/

Closest PCA: http://trinitypresbyterianwi.org/ Waukesha - I don't see anything concerning on their website.

Last edited:
I am actually in a suburb of Milwaukee, called Pewaukee. The map you posted is very helpful, thanks! I will take a look at some of these.

It actually looks like the reformed baptist church is fairly new.

Last edited:
The Trinity Presbyterian Church in Waukesha might actually be the best choice, based on their worship service schedule. Seems to hold pretty close to the regulative principle. Can a baptist become a member of a Presbyterian church if it seems like a good church? Can I serve? I suppose it's also possible they convince me of paedobaptism. I have heard RC Sproul's argument for it and I DO understand it. I am just not sure it is completely scriptural (this is in no way meant to insult or cause discord)...the argument used was circumcision vs. baptism (OT vs NT). I do understand the importance of the covenant though.

Last edited:
I think there was a nearby Reformed Baptist that died in scandal. But it's out of my usual circle both geographically and theologically. So I'll leave discussion of the RBs in the area to our RB members. @Pergamum ? @C. M. Sheffield ?

I think most would suspect my RB credentials because I've been so disgusted with many of them of late since the Chantry scandal and their over-fixation on impassibility and 1689 Federalism. I am still waiting for an OPC fella to convince me of infant baptism so I can finally be free from my shackles.

The Trinity Presbyterian Church in Waukesha might actually be the best choice, based on their worship service schedule. Seems to hold pretty close to the regulative principle. Can a baptist become a member of a Presbyterian church if it seems like a good church? Can I serve? I suppose it's also possible they convince me of paedobaptism. I have heard RC Sproul's argument for it and I DO understand it. I am just not sure it is completely scriptural (this is in no way meant to insult or cause discord)...the argument used was circumcision vs. baptism (OT vs NT). I do understand the importance of the covenant though.
A solid Presbyterian church would welcome a brother in Christ who gives a credible profession. If you're interested in serving, I can show you a bunch of window sills that need cleaning and garden beds that need attention. :)

I am only partly jesting. Everyone should bring his gifts to the church, but that doesn't require an official capacity. Give yourself time to grow and be steeped in the scriptures and let your doctrine be an outflow of that focus.

Can a baptist become a member of a Presbyterian church if it seems like a good church? Can I serve? I suppose it's also possible they convince me of paedobaptism.
Membership - it varies by denomination. It generally isn't a problem in a PCA church.

Serving - you couldn't be an officer (elder or deacon). You might or might not be able to teach Sunday School classes or Bible studies - the pastor and elders should want to make sure that there was no teaching contrary to Presbyterian doctrine. But there are generally plenty of other opportunities.

Paedobaptism - can be a problem if you have young children and refuse to present them for baptism. No children or children over 12, probably wouldn't present an issue unless you became disruptive.

In other words, show up eager to help and with a teachable heart, and you'd probably be welcome.

The 5 Constitutional questions for PCA membership can be found here:

A credible profession of faith is also required.

Thank you all for the information. I will keep this thread as a reference as there is a lot of good stuff here.

This may be a shot in the dark, but I thought I would throw this question out there. Being raised in a non-denominational mega church, I have in the past few years come fully into the reformed understanding of Scripture . . . I would be open to trying out ANY conservative reformed church, including the Presbyterian side of aisle.

Hi Neighbor!

I live next door to you in Brookfield. I also attended a megachurch for many years (Elmbrook). I now attend Falls Church (OPC) in Menomonee Falls. From Pewaukee, one possible route for you is east on Capital drive, then north on Pilgrim road.

When the Reformed Baptist church in Hales Corners closed, a number of the families were warmly received at Falls Church and became members.

Falls Church has been wonderfully supportive during this period of CV-19 isolation. The pastor provides audio and video messages of encouragement every few days. I recommend listening to these messages and their sermons. https://fallsopc.org/

Falls Church is an old established church. Covenant Church is a more recent church plant in New Berlin that is just acquired a nice property and building about a year ago. My wife and I visited, spoke with the pastor and an elder, and would consider Covenant OPC to be a good option.

The advantages of attending a confessional presbyterian church over a megachurch are massive and life-changing.

Regarding Trinity Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Waukesha - a word of caution. You need to know that the elders strongly identify with Federal Vision teachers, such as James Jordan, Peter Leithart, and Doug Wilson, who are frequently cited in their sermons. If FV (Federal Vision) theology is new to you, the PCA, OPC, and other denominations have written papers identifying FV errors in key doctrines such as Justification. Some of the FV teachers named above do not believe in the evangelical doctrine of personal regeneration. Trinity elders have twice tried to leave the PCA for the CREC (the denominational home base for FV teachers), but received push-back from the congregation. I can expand on and document these statements if you wish. I also recommend you research FV here on the Puritanboard.

Let me know if you have other questions. If you would like to chat on the phone, we could arrange that.

Hi Neighbor!

I live next door to you in Brookfield. I also attended a megachurch for many years (Elmbrook). I now attend Falls Church (OPC) in Menomonee Falls. From Pewaukee, one possible route for you is east on Capital drive, then north on Pilgrim road.

When the Reformed Baptist church in Hales Corners closed, a number of the families were warmly received at Falls Church and became members.

Falls Church has been wonderfully supportive during this period of CV-19 isolation. The pastor provides audio and video messages of encouragement every few days. I recommend listening to these messages and their sermons. https://fallsopc.org/

Falls Church is an old established church. Covenant Church is a more recent church plant in New Berlin that is just acquired a nice property and building about a year ago. My wife and I visited, spoke with the pastor and an elder, and would consider Covenant OPC to be a good option.

The advantages of attending a confessional presbyterian church over a megachurch are massive and life-changing.

Regarding Trinity Presbyterian Church (PCA) in Waukesha - a word of caution. You need to know that the elders strongly identify with Federal Vision teachers, such as James Jordan, Peter Leithart, and Doug Wilson, who are frequently cited in their sermons. If FV (Federal Vision) theology is new to you, the PCA, OPC, and other denominations have written papers identifying FV errors in key doctrines such as Justification. Some of the FV teachers named above do not believe in the evangelical doctrine of personal regeneration. Trinity elders have twice tried to leave the PCA for the CREC (the denominational home base for FV teachers), but received push-back from the congregation. I can expand on and document these statements if you wish. I also recommend you research FV here on the Puritanboard.

Let me know if you have other questions. If you would like to chat on the phone, we could arrange that.

Hello, thanks for the response. I actually went to Elmbrook for a long time as well. Once Jason Webb came in as the new senior pastor, it seemed like preaching out of the scriptures stopped and become all topical. Interesting enough, after I had left, the number one and two pastors both got caught in adultery, it was a very sad tale (I imagine you heard of this as well). I went over to Spring Creek Church and have been there about 2 years. I do really like the people there, but as I mentioned in my original post, the preaching just doesn't go that deep. It certainly goes deeper than Elmbrook did in the more recent years, but I really want to get to a church that does verse by verse exposition.

Interesting enough, I had another person already message me about The Falls OPC. So, now I have two direct recommendations. I will definitely be checking it out as soon as Church starts meeting again. I actually listened to Pastor Snodgrass' sermon on Isaiah 53:1-12. It was great to hear a sermon that got to the root of the matter on Good Friday.

Also, thank you for your warning about the FV at Trinity, I am not looking for that type of church. I am a fan of Doug Wilson, but I have always been cautious about his federal vision theology. He had a conversation recently with James White about it and while it helped clarify what he actually beliefs, which I believe is a variation, it still didn't seem to have much scriptural support.

Thanks again, I am excited to check out The Falls asap.

You need to know that the elders strongly identify with Federal Vision teachers, such as James Jordan, Peter Leithart, and Doug Wilson, who are frequently cited in their sermons.

With that additional information, I would strongly urge avoiding Trinity in Waukesha. And this is a good example of why PCA churches need to be examined on an individual basis. The denominational label is not trustworthy for finding a faithful church. (The other issue that you'll find in some Presbyteries is Wokeness - BLM activists, pro-homosexual activists. )

With that additional information, I would strongly urge avoiding Trinity in Waukesha. And this is a good example of why PCA churches need to be examined on an individual basis. The denominational label is not trustworthy for finding a faithful church. (The other issue that you'll find in some Presbyteries is Wokeness - BLM activists, pro-homosexual activists. )

Yes, I definitely want to avoid woke churches like the plague. It is unfortunate how many churches are falling into liberalism. As for the PCA churches, other threads on these forums have indeed warned about this. That there is not as much cohesion as say the OPC. However, as also pointed out it doesn't mean that there are not good PCA churches and likewise doesn't mean there aren't bad OPC churches, as with all churches.

I think there was a nearby Reformed Baptist that died in scandal. But it's out of my usual circle both geographically and theologically. So I'll leave discussion of the RBs in the area to our RB members. @Pergamum ? @C. M. Sheffield ?

It didn't die completely. It shrank considerably after the scandal, sold the building, and renamed themselves Covenant Baptist Church in New Berlin (previously Christ Reformed Baptist Church in Hales Corners). They remained with ARBCA for a while after the name change before eventually leaving.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back