Looking for an apologetical quote attributed to William Perkins

• Thread starter Deleted member 12624
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 12624

Dear all:

A while back I saw on Twitter a quote that I believe it was attributed to William Perkins. It came up as a rebuttal to the Roman Catholic claim that Protestantism implies that there was no faithful remnant for 1,500 years until the Reformation. The quote said something along the lines of (I’m paraphrasing):

“As long as there was a single baptized infant [during those 1500 years] who kept the faith in Christ, the Church was present”

Again, I’m not 100% sure of the details of what it said or even if it was attributed to Perkins. Can you help me find it?

Cheers!

Check The Problem of the Forged Catholicism. Not sure if it's available online. My church has his works and I'll check on Sunday.

Dear all:

A while back I saw on Twitter a quote that I believe it was attributed to William Perkins. It came up as a rebuttal to the Roman Catholic claim that Protestantism implies that there was no faithful remnant for 1,500 years until the Reformation. The quote said something along the lines of (I’m paraphrasing):

“As long as there was a single baptized infant [during those 1500 years] who kept the faith in Christ, the Church was present”

Again, I’m not 100% sure of the details of what it said or even if it was attributed to Perkins. Can you help me find it?

Cheers!
I believe the "roman catholic", was actually from Richard Hooker in his work "The Law of Ecclesiastic Polity". I have the edition by Gryphon and I came across that quote. Hooker was anglican, but their polity is akin to Romes.

Last edited:
Dear all:

Cheers!

I searched the 6 volumes of The Works of William Perkins for over close to an hour and did not find anything close. Here are some of the Queries I tried.
  • "single baptized infant"
  • single BEFORE infant
  • single NEAR infant
  • "Reformation" NEAR infant
  • reformation NEAR infant
  • reformation NEAR child
  • reformation AND child
  • infant (even this single word by itself only got 11 results in 9 articles in 5 of the six volumes)
  • child NEAR baptized (only got 1 hit)
  • Perkins NEAR 1500
  • Even an EVERYTHING search of my 7,000 plus resources for "Perkins NEAR 1500" (without the quotes) only got 8 results in 4 articles within 3 resources.
  • One last EVERYTHING search of "William NEAR Perkins" revealed that I have yielded 2,734 results in 870 articles in 254 resources (books, articles, dictionaries, etc.)
I tried a bunch of other things and finally included that the quote is not in his Works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back