Looking for an Article - Apostles Creed / Metanoia Disciple

Status
Not open for further replies.

Grant

Puritan Board Graduate
Good Morning,

I am looking for a online source I can print out and mail to my Metanoia Student. We are doing a study on the Apostle's Creed and of course the statement has come up of "he descended into hell". I hold that Jesus did not go to the place of hell where all the lost are in enteral pain and torment. I know that many and even the Heidelberg address the phrase as essentially just pointing to the suffering of Christ and God the Father forsaking him. I find the Apostle's Creed usage of this phrase unhelpful for the very situation I am in now. However that discussion is not really the purpose of this thread.

My student has questions as he thinks that Jesus did go to the physical place of hell. The reason I ask for an online article is so I can print it on paper and send it to him to help his study. In order to make it past security protocols I can only send in single sheets of paper as opposed to a bound book.

His main question is (re-worded by me for simplicity):

1. If Jesus took on our sin which deserved death and enteral hell, does it not make since that he did actually go to Hell where all who die faithless go?

I plan to respond with my own words, but I also like to provide resource material to help the student know I'm not making my counter-arguments up. All that said, I am excited as the student seems to really be engaging the study material on this point!

Last edited:
The metanoia material is is teaching that Jesus body went to the grave and his soul went to hades, but then explains hades as a dual chamber holding place (temporary) of peace for the the faithful and torment for the faithless.

What I decided to send is attached. I wanted to post here in case it helps someone else as I know I and more than a few others have struggled with this phrase generally, let alone reciting it as Public Worship. I ended up sending discussions from Berkhof and Brakel. The letter was 6 pages, but that is only because I included the discussion by the 2 Dutchmen. May your Lord's Day be blessed.:detective:

Attachments

• Letter 05-30-2020.pdf
    127.1 KB · Views: 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back