Looking for an OT parallel to 1 John 5:21 "Little children, keep yourselves from idol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tirian

Puritan Board Sophomore
I'm interested in whether there is an OT parallel verse or passage that coveys the same affectionate call to abstain from idols as in 1 John 5:21 "Little children, keep yourselves from idols. Amen"

Any help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,
Matt

These are the only nearest ones that I found urging a keeping from idols.
Lev 19:4; Ezekiel 14:6; Ezekiel 20:24; and maybe Hosea 14:8. Whether
You can categorise these as affectionate is a separate matter!

Isn't the affectionate part of 1John a show of a shepherd's heart talking under grace (little children or children of God), whereas, in the OT they were priests/judges/prophets etc talking to the whole of Israel (not all of Israel were of the saved) according to the law, and therefore, you wouldn't find a parallel verse hold the same affection? IDK, it just sounds that way to me.

You have to read between the lines a bit, but I think God's dealings with Jacob's family in Genesis 31-35 have that affectionate feel. Rachel steals the family idols from Laban, but there's no immediate or harsh condemnation from God. Instead God teaches the family through providence and encounters with him: through the worry about Esau, the wrestling with the Lord, and the horrible incident with Dinah after they got too friendly with the pagans. At the end of all that God tells Jacob to go to Bethel and worship him there (ch. 35), and Jacob responds by getting rid of those idols. I sense God's care in all this. Without ever giving a direct scolding, God patiently yet firmly brings Jacob's family to a point where they see his care and how being devoted to him alone is better than anything they may have been trusting those idols to give them.

I realize that's not a single, neat verse, but it's what came to mind when you asked the question.

Isn't the affectionate part of 1John a show of a shepherd's heart talking under grace (little children or children of God), whereas, in the OT they were priests/judges/prophets etc talking to the whole of Israel (not all of Israel were of the saved) according to the law, and therefore, you wouldn't find a parallel verse hold the same affection? IDK, it just sounds that way to me.

Thanks for sharing. My thought in response - we see the cycle obedience, falling away, restoration for God's people throughout OT history though. Grace is extended time and time again to careless recipients. (Not unlike me)

I think you are onto something in terms of the shepherd's heart though - things are ALWAYS better in Christ and we certainly see more affectionate terms used.

You have to read between the lines a bit, but I think God's dealings with Jacob's family in Genesis 31-35 have that affectionate feel. Rachel steals the family idols from Laban, but there's no immediate or harsh condemnation from God. Instead God teaches the family through providence and encounters with him: through the worry about Esau, the wrestling with the Lord, and the horrible incident with Dinah after they got too friendly with the pagans. At the end of all that God tells Jacob to go to Bethel and worship him there (ch. 35), and Jacob responds by getting rid of those idols. I sense God's care in all this. Without ever giving a direct scolding, God patiently yet firmly brings Jacob's family to a point where they see his care and how being devoted to him alone is better than anything they may have been trusting those idols to give them.

I realize that's not a single, neat verse, but it's what came to mind when you asked the question.

That's exactly the sort of thing I was looking for - thank you. Very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back