looking for books

Status
Not open for further replies.

bug

Puritan Board Freshman
I am looking for a good, detailed but readable primer on covenant theology, can anyone recommend one please?

I am also after some indepth material on the Regulative Principle, and I would appreciate any pointers anyone can give.

Thanks in advance.

I am looking for a good, detailed but readable primer on covenant theology, can anyone recommend one please?

I am also after some indepth material on the Regulative Principle, and I would appreciate any pointers anyone can give.

Thanks in advance.

Jonathan,

You will find help with both in this:

The Baptism of Disciples Alone A Covenantal Argument for Credobaptism versus Paedobaptism, by Fred Malone

In it he sets forth the credobaptist understanding of the Covenants as well as arguing believer's baptism from the Regulative principle.

Already have that thanks I will dust it off, I also have Covenant Theology from Adam to Christ, by Coxe and Owen, that isn't really suitable for the person I had in mind.

any other recommendations?

Jonathan:

As to the regulative principle [it's not just for worship anymore! :) - properly covers doctrine and polity as well], once your eyes are open to the discussion, it is pretty much everywhere throughout Puritan literature. My favorites on this topic are Burroughs, Cunningham and Girardeau.

Select Bibliography on the Regulative Principle

Bannerman, James, The Church of Christ: A Treatise on the Nature, Powers, Ordinances, Discipline, and Government of the Christian Church. Edinburgh: T&T Clark, 1868, vol. 1, pp. 324-391.

Begg, James, Anarchy in Worship. Edinburgh, 1875.

Bogue, Carl W., Scriptural Worship. Dallas, TX: Blue Banner Books, 1993.

Burroughs, Jeremiah, Gospel Worship. Soli Deo Gloria. See also frequent passages throughout his commentary on Hosea.

Bushell, Michael, The Songs of Zion. Pittsburgh, PA: s.n., 1993.

Calvin, John, Institutes of the Christian Religion, 2.8.5; 4.8.13 and 4.10.8, 11, 16-17, 23-25; cf. 1.4.3; 1.12.1; 3.4.8 and 4.10.1, 27-32.

Clowney, Edmund P., "Distinctive Emphases in Presbyterian Polity," in Pressing Toward the Mark: Essays Commemorating Fifty Years of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, edited by Charles G. Dennison and Richard C. Gamble. Philadelphia: OPC, 1986, pp. 99-110.

Cunningham, William, Discussion on Church Principles. Edinburgh, 1863, pp. 249-256. [reprinted by Banner of Truth and by Still Waters Revival Books.]

Cunningham, William, Historical Theology. Edinburgh, 1862 and London, 1960, vol. 1, pp. 64-78.

Cunningham, William, The Reformers and the Theology of the Reformation. Edinburgh, 1862 and London, 1967, pp. 26-45.

Gillespie, George, A Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies. Dallas, TX: Naphtali Press, 1993.

Girardeau, John L., "Discretionary Power of the Church," in An Anthology of Presbyterian and Reformed Literature, vol. 3, no. 4. Dallas: Naphtali Press, 1990.

Girardeau, John L., "Instrumental Music in Public Worship". Richmond, 1888.

Hooper, John, "The Regulative Principle and Things Indifferent," in The Reformation of the Church, edited by Iain Murray. London: Banner of Truth Trust, 1965, pp. 51-58.

Isbell, Sherman, "The Regulative Principle and Worship Song," in The Presbyterian Reformed Magazine, vol. 8, no. 2 and following issues.

Knox, John, True and False Worship, Dallas, TX: Presbyterian Heritage Publication, n.d.

Murray, Iain, "Scripture and Things Indifferent," in Diversity in Unity: Papers Read at the Puritan and Reformed Studies Conference, 1963, pp. 15-35.

Murray, John, "The Finality and Sufficiency of Scripture," in his Collected Writings. Edinburgh: Banner of Truth, 1976. Vol. 1, pp. 16-22; "Worship", pp. 165-168.

Murray, John, "Minority Report of the Committee on Song in the Public Worship of God," in Minutes of the Fourteenth General Assembly of the Orthodox Presbyterian Church, 1947, pp. 58=66. Online at Reports of the Committee on Song in Worship

Murray, John, "The Worship of God in the Four Gospels," in The Biblical Doctrine of Worship, edited by Philip W. Martin, John M. McMillan and Edward A. Robson. Pittsburgh: Reformed Presbyterian Church of North America, 1974, pp. 92-98.

Owen, John, An Exposition of the Epistle to the Hebrews. Edinburgh: Johnstone and Hunter, 1854-1855 and reprinted by Banner of Truth. Vol. 2, pp. 168-169; vol. 6, pp. 42-43, 185-186.

Owen, John, A Discourse Concerning Liturgies, in Works. London, 1966, vol. 15, pp. 33-50; see also, A Brief Instruction in the Worship of God and Discipline of the Churches of the New Testament, pp. 447-479.

Owen, John, Truth and Innocence Vindicated, in Works, vol. 13, 462-489.

Thornwell, James Henley, Collected Writings, 4:144-226 and 244-261.

Williamson, G.I., "The Scriptural Regulative Principle of Worship" in The Presbyterian Advocate, 1.2 (February 1991): 8-10 and 1.3&4 (March-April 1991): 17-20.

Young, William, "The Puritan Principle of Worship," in Blue Banner Faith and Life, 14.2 (April 1959) through 16.1 (January 1961) Reprinted by the Presbyterian Reformed Church in 1992.

Young, William, "The Second Commandment," in The Biblical Doctrine of Worship, pp. 307-315.

Vos, J.G., "Ashamed of the Tents of Shem?" in The Biblical Doctrine of Worship.

Wayne,

that's quite a list thanks.

Tim,

Horton sounds like a perfect choice for what I am after, thankyou.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back