Looking For Christmas Origins Book

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

Username3000

Hello,

I’ve been thinking about Christmas and Easter at different times the last few years, and right now is again one of those times.

Does there exist a quality book about the origins and history of Christmas? And of Easter?

Also, can those of you who believe that Christmas is bad answer this for me:

Is it sinful to have all the seasonal elements of Christmastime in your personal life, if they are not in the church? Music, decorations, gift-giving, etc.?

And finally, what’s the key to the anti-Christmas (in the church) argument? Is it a right understanding of the Lord’s Day? That God tells us how to worship Him, and therefore Christmas is forbidden?

Edit: Perhaps this should be in a different sub-forum?

I would check out some of the books referenced in a compilation article that contains my work and Andy Webb's work on the subject. The facets to this pretended holy day are many and involve of course the regulative principle, the use of things indifferent and what and when are they indifferent, monuments of idolatry and offense. I don't know of a better though circuitous way of getting at all of these buty by readying all four parts of Gillespie's Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies. I'm going to have a likely never again special soon, so if that is of interest hold off buying it.

Does there exist a quality book about the origins and history of Christmas?
My parents visited the Santa Claus headquarters when they toured Scandinavia a couple of years ago. Perhaps you could contact the Santa Claus headquarters and see if they have this information in their library? ;) ;)

I would check out some of the books referenced in a compilation article that contains my work and Andy Webb's work on the subject. The facets to this pretended holy day are many and involve of course the regulative principle, the use of things indifferent and what and when are they indifferent, monuments of idolatry and offense. I don't know of a better though circuitous way of getting at all of these buty by readying all four parts of Gillespie's Dispute Against the English Popish Ceremonies. I'm going to have a likely never again special soon, so if that is of interest hold off buying it.
Thank you. I’d very much like to get that book some day. I live in Canada so cant take up your reduced price offer. I’ll have to be content with Burroughs’ Gospel Worship for now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back