Looking for early Christian and pseudo Christian writings

Status
Not open for further replies.

austinbrown2

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

I enjoy reading early Christian writings such as the Apostolic Fathers and the like, but I am ignorant of the other works and writings out there- earlier stuff (no later than the 4th century).

I know there are heretical writings, spurious things, something called the Odes of Solomon and all other manner of objects out there that I am simply not too familiar with. In this vein, I would like three things:

1. Be able to see all of the existing writings in this period. Is there a nifty catalog out there that I could see which lists all such writings?

2. Learn more about how we have obtained these writings and how they figure dates.

3. Is there a one stop internet source (or book) which has 1 or 2 or 1 and 2?

Many thanks all,
Austin

Originally posted by austinbrown2
Hello all,

I enjoy reading early Christian writings such as the Apostolic Fathers and the like, but I am ignorant of the other works and writings out there- earlier stuff (no later than the 4th century).

I know there are heretical writings, spurious things, something called the Odes of Solomon and all other manner of objects out there that I am simply not too familiar with. In this vein, I would like three things:

1. Be able to see all of the existing writings in this period. Is there a nifty catalog out there that I could see which lists all such writings?

2. Learn more about how we have obtained these writings and how they figure dates.

3. Is there a one stop internet source (or book) which has 1 or 2 or 1 and 2?

Many thanks all,
Austin

indeed it will be great if there is a "one stop internet source (or book) which has 1 or 2 or 1 and 2"

I would be more concerned with the Neo-Platonism of many of the Fathers rather than the heresies. The heresies would be noticeable. Colin Gunton's book, The Triune Creator, deals with many admirable aspects of the early Fathers while ditching the neo-platonism.

What does (NT) mean?

Sorry, I forgot what kind of message board I was on. (NT) means no text. I forgot I wasn't on one of those pyramid like message boards where you see the title and nothing else.

Austin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back