Looking for good commentaries on Acts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mayflower

Puritan Board Junior
Whats are one of the best commentaries of Acts ?

Iam looking a commentary of Acts which also foreexample explain from scripture presbyterianism

At my liberary i have at this moment : J.A. Alexander, Hawker, Calvin, Kistemaker.

When you say "explains scripture from Presbyterianism" do you mean that would support the ecclesiology or do you mean sensitive to a reformed exegesis of Acts?

If you mean sensitive to reformed exegesis then I personally prefer NICNT by FF Bruce for my modern scholarship in addition to standard works i.e... Calvin, Henry etc... of course I would never rely on one commentary, I only suggest Bruce as one to own for home Library. He is a great scholar.

I don't think any commentary is going to have outright defense for any particular ecclesiology. If they do, they would be reading more into the text than is there. Even though I think Presbyterianism is the best system, I don't think scripture supports any particular ecclesiology.

fyi - I have spent lots of time researching and thinking about this issue, which is why I am searching for a new church i.e.... PCA, OPC etc...

Hope this helps

blessings

John R.W. Stott's commentary on Acts is top-notch. I wouldn't necessarily call it "Presbyterian," but it is solidly biblical. That should be enough.

Originally posted by lkjohnson
John R.W. Stott's commentary on Acts is top-notch. I wouldn't necessarily call it "Presbyterian," but it is solidly biblical. That should be enough.

Thanks Lance. But the problem with John Stott is, that he denies hell and believes in annihilation. Someone who teach this false teaching where the cross of Jesus Christ is not taken serieusly and orthodox, i don't have any desire to read commentaries of these kind of teachers.

Originally posted by Mayflower
Originally posted by lkjohnson

Thanks Lance. But the problem with John Stott is, that he denies hell and believes in annihilation. Someone who teach this false teaching where the cross of Jesus Christ is not taken serieusly and orthodox, i don't have any desire to read commentaries of these kind of teachers.

I am aware of Stott's theological weaknesses and reject them, but I urge you to not throw the baby out with the bath water. For the discerning reader, his commentary is quite good.

Perhaps this quote from James Philpot will help you:

The Faults of Great Men

(J. C. Philpot, "Pastoral Sketches")

Luther did not come forth as a theologian fully furnished
with a scheme of doctrines, or as a warrior armed at all
points--but advanced slowly, as himself a learner, from
one position to another, gradually feeling his way onward;
taking up no ground on which he had not been clearly set
down, and which he could not firmly maintain from the
express testimony of God.

It is true that this gradual progress of his mind involved
him at times in contradictions and inconsistencies, not
to say mistakes and errors--which his enemies have
availed themselves of, to sully and tarnish one of the
noblest characters, both naturally and spiritually, that
the world has ever seen.

Admiration, or what a popular writer of the present day
calls "hero-worship," should not indeed blind us to the
faults of great men. But a discerning eye, while it admits
Luther's inconsistencies, sees displayed more manifestly
thereby, the mercy and wisdom of God.

The Lord, indeed, was no more the author of Luther's
errors than He was of Luther's sins! But as He mercifully
pardoned the one, so He graciously passed by the other,
and over-ruled both to His own glory!

Stott's commentary is very relevant to our day. His emphasis is on the work of the Holy Spirit in the fulfillment of the Great Commission. In a day when the emphasis is so strongly on the works of men rather than the work of the Spirit, his work is important. Furthermore, if we read only those men we agree with, we will stagnate in our learning and faith. We will become men made less in the image of God and more in the image of the men we admire.

I pray that you be sufficiently mature in your faith to read discerningly, glean the truths, rejects the errors, and grow in the process.

[Edited on 6-10-2005 by lkjohnson]

I pray that you be sufficiently mature in your faith to read discerningly, glean the truths, rejects the errors, and grow in the process.

[Edited on 6-10-2005 by lkjohnson]

Thanks Lance for your advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back