Looking for historical studies on Dort.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regi Addictissimus

Completely sold out to the King
Good evening. I am looking for books, preferably scholarly, that are devoted to the Synod of Dort and the events surrounding it. With it being the 400th anniversary of Dordt, there have been many recent books exploring the theology. I am coming up short on historical studies. Any leads would be much appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Update: Here is a list of resources that I have:

Primary:
The Remonstrance, The Counter Remonstrance, and the Canons of Dort in The Reformed Confessions of the 16th and 17th Centuries (James T. Dennison JR.)
John Hales Letters from the Synod of Dort

Seconday:
W. Robert Godfrey - Saving the Reformation
W. Robert Godfrey's PhD diss. on Dort
A Faith Worth Defending: The Synod of Dort's Enduring Heritage (Edited by John D. Payne and Sebastian Heck)
Crisis in the Reformed Churches (Edited by Peter Y. De Jong)
Samuel Miller - A Place Like Heaven
Jonathan Israel - The Dutch Republic: Its Rise, Greatness, and Fall 1477-1806
Caspar Brandt - The Life of James Arminius

Last edited:
Daniel R. Hyde's Grace Worth Fighting For and W. Robert Godfrey's Saving the Reformation are probably good places to begin. BTW, I also have a PDF of Bob's PhD thesis on Dort, which I can e-mail to you. I plan to read it for myself soon.

Daniel R. Hyde's Grace Worth Fighting For and W. Robert Godfrey's Saving the Reformation are probably good places to begin. BTW, I also have a PDF of Bob's PhD thesis on Dort, which I can e-mail to you. I plan to read it for myself soon.

I have the Godfrey book. Hyde has been on my list. We also just published a book on Dort. The issue for my purpose is that they are mostly dedicated to the theology of Dort. They could provide some leads.
Was Godfrey's thesis on the Atonement debate at Dort?

Crisis in the Reformed Churches (ed. Peter Y. De Jong) is an older book, but still valuable.

Lest Any Man Should Boast (Arthur Van Delden) is a commentary on the Canons, but has a bit of historical background as well.

There's also H. J. Meijerink, “The Origins of the Canons of Dort,” in The Bride’s Treasure: Introduction to the Canons of Dort, by J. Faber, H. J. Meijerink, C. Trimp, G. Zomer (Launceston, Tasmania: Publication Organisation of the Free Reformed Churches of Australia, 1979)

For general history, two more recent volumes are Aza Goudriaan and Fred van Lieburg, eds., Revisiting the Synod of Dort (1618–19) (Leiden: Brill, 2011); and W. van’t Spijker, C. C. de Bruin, H. Florijn, A. Moerkerken, and H. Natzijl, De Synode van Dordrecht in 1618 en 1619 (Houten: Den Hartog, 1987). For treatments of two particular issues at the Synod see W. Robert Godfrey, “Tensions within International Calvinism: The Debate on the Atonement at the Synod of Dort, 1618–19” (PhD diss., Stanford University, 1974); Donald Sinnema, “The Issue of Reprobation at the Synod of Dort (1618–1619) in Light of the History of This Doctrine” (PhD diss., University of St. Michael’s College, Toronto, 1985).

Crisis in the Reformed Churches (ed. Peter Y. De Jong) is an older book, but still valuable.

Lest Any Man Should Boast (Arthur Van Delden) is a commentary on the Canons, but has a bit of historical background as well.

There's also H. J. Meijerink, “The Origins of the Canons of Dort,” in The Bride’s Treasure: Introduction to the Canons of Dort, by J. Faber, H. J. Meijerink, C. Trimp, G. Zomer (Launceston, Tasmania: Publication Organisation of the Free Reformed Churches of Australia, 1979)

For general history, two more recent volumes are Aza Goudriaan and Fred van Lieburg, eds., Revisiting the Synod of Dort (1618–19) (Leiden: Brill, 2011); and W. van’t Spijker, C. C. de Bruin, H. Florijn, A. Moerkerken, and H. Natzijl, De Synode van Dordrecht in 1618 en 1619 (Houten: Den Hartog, 1987). For treatments of two particular issues at the Synod see W. Robert Godfrey, “Tensions within International Calvinism: The Debate on the Atonement at the Synod of Dort, 1618–19” (PhD diss., Stanford University, 1974); Donald Sinnema, “The Issue of Reprobation at the Synod of Dort (1618–1619) in Light of the History of This Doctrine” (PhD diss., University of St. Michael’s College, Toronto, 1985).

I picked up Crisis in the Reformed Churches today. I also have Godfrey's PhD diss. The others are new leads. Thank you very much for sharing these. I will add these to my list.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back