Looking for some good modern theologians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anglicanorthodoxy

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm familiar with most of the popular modern Reformed theologians, and have read several theological works. However, most of my favorite theologians are no longer with us.( J. C Ryle, Gordon H. Clark, R. L Dabney, Jonathan Edwards, Charles Hodge, J. Gresham Machen) As far as moderns go,,I really like Dr. James White and Paul Washer( although I don't know if you'd call Washer a theologian) I'm looking for more good modern theologians. There are two things that I'm looking for in a theologian.
1. Academic- I'm looking for a theologian that's a bit more academic than Dr. White and Rev. Washer. When I say "academic", I want someone who's not targeting the average person and doing popular work. I'm looking for a more scholarly theologian. Someone who's conservative, Reformed, and has the credentials of a guy like N. T Wright.( I'm not endorsing Wright, but I'm saying that I'm looking for a guy who's as scholarly as he is)A professor would be great.
2. Conservative- While I respect Tim Keller, I don't want someone like him. I'm not looking for a guy who's going to contextualize everything, and make small compromises to the modern immoral culture. I want someone who is unapologetically Reformed, anti-Liberal, anti-LGBT, and anti-Feminist.( strong supporter of traditional gender roles)
Who would you guys recommend?

I will show my bias toward my own institution and recommend (unapologetically) works by D.A. Carson, Kevin Vanhoozer, and Constantine Campbell. Others I would recommend would be John Frame for systematics studies, Douglas Moo for New Testament studies (along with Carson), and any of the Westminster Philadelphia gentlemen.

Hi Khater,

Joel Beeke is outstanding, and anything he writes is worth reading. He coauthored 'A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life' with Mark Jones, which is a terrific (and large!) book. Michael Horton's work is consistently helpful and thoughtful; I enjoyed his books 'Christless Christianity' and 'The Christian Faith' (another large ST). Graeme Goldsworthy is a biblical theologian whose writings are clarifying, especially his 'According to Plan.' John Stott's 'The Cross of Christ' is worthy of being written in gold. Anything by J.I. Packer, Carl Trueman, Iain Duguid, Gerald Bray, Sinclair Ferguson, Mark Dever, Robert Letham...

I'll stop there. These men are first-rate thinkers and tremendous gifts of Christ to the Church. You'll be challenged and immensely blessed as you work through their writings. Read them with your Bible open and your heart lifted to God in prayer and communion.

My wife and I are praying for you, Khater, that you will stand firm in Christ Jesus.

Grace to you.

In the area of academic historical theology, certainly you could look at Richard Muller. Dr. Cornelis Venema has academic works as well as more popular treatments of numerous topics. Steven Duby just released a book on Divine Simplicity this year which is very much top shelf both as academic work and as theology.

Michael Horton or Robert Letham would be two obvious ports of call, though if it is historical theology that interests you then you should read Richard Muller, R. Scott Clark, and Carl Trueman. Peter Sanlon (who was converted through my home congregation) and James Dolezal are two emerging scholars of note. And, of course, Mark Jones is writing a lot of high quality material on various issues.

If I were you, I'd get really well grounded in Reformed theology before going after Frame. He is an astounding intellect, but he has too many weird departures from orthodox Reformed theology to make him safe for someone who hasn't, for example, mastered the Westminster Standards.

Reagan's recommendations would be a great place to start.

If I were you, I'd get really well grounded in Reformed theology before going after Frame. He is an astounding intellect, but he has too many weird departures from orthodox Reformed theology to make him safe for someone who hasn't, for example, mastered the Westminster Standards.

Tyler is right: Frame does indeed have some valuable insights, but also some decided quirks and outright differences from confessionalism; consequently, he's best used as a supplemental resource once a person is well-grounded in Reformed theology.

You've been given many good recommendations above, and if you read one book by even half of these men, you'll be off to a good start toward growing in the Lord!

Ligon Duncan, Michael Horton, R.C. Sproul, Robert Godfrey, Al Mohler. I could name so many! RTS and WTS guys are good sort in general.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back