Looking for top five book books by puritans you would suggest for new believers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jckdymond55

Puritan Board Freshman
I want to get a well rounded list from John Flavel to Calvin from spurgeon to pink looking to find 5 books that focus on life as a Christian and how to walk it.

Not all Puritans, but

Holiness, J.C. Ryle
The Doctrine of Repentance, Thomas Watson
The Bruised Reed, Richard Sibbes
The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment, Jeremiah Burroughs
Mortification of Sin, John Owen

I also love Sibbes and Burroughs. I would also add Flavel's 'Keeping the heart' and Marshall's 'The gospel mystery of sanctification'.

Dr Beeke argues that Watson's 'Heaven taken by storm' is one of the first Puritan works to read. He says
"For a starter, read Thomas Watson’s Heaven Taken by Storm as it teaches us practically how to use the Christian disciplines and how to live the Christian life with passion to God’s glory. Based on Matthew 11:12, Watson describes how the Christian is to take the kingdom of heaven by holy violence through the reading and exposition of Scripture, prayer, meditation, self-examination, spiritual fellowship, and keeping the Lord’s Day. His explanation of how the believer is to battle against self, Satan, and the world is unmatchable, as is his countering all our objections against offering such violence. This little, overlooked treasure is vintage Puritan, experiential teaching at its best."

For a new believer (and in reality, for most believers I know), most Puritan works will be very difficult to read. The simplest I have found is "All Things for Good' by Thomas Watson in the Puritan Paperbacks series. It is the one title I would recommend anyone new to the Puritans to start with.

Another option is the "Pocket Puritans" selections from Banner of Truth. The one I purchased (by accident, thinking it was a longer work) is "The Way to Truth Happiness" by Ralph Venning. I have not read it, but skimming through it, it is a short work (87 pages but the book itself is tiny so think about half that number of pages in normal size books) and the language does not seem too terribly complex but still might be hard depending on a person's reading ability.

I second "All Things for Good" by Thomas Watson. That would be the only one you need. First Puritan book I ever read and it rocked my world.

The Godly Man's Picture- Watson
The Unsearchable Riches of Christ- Brooks
Come and Welcome to Jesus- Bunyan
The Lord's Supper- Watson

One that looks good; but hasnt been reprinted is a work by the ejected minister Martin Fynch. It is a work entitled "Milk for Babes in Christ." If you puruse this work, and like what you see; we can give you a cleaned copy of it (though slightly imperfect) and you can have it POD'ed (printed on demand) to give to whom you like. It looks like it would be about 100 properly formatted pages.

--Milk for babes in Christ: or Meditations, observations, and experiences. Divers cases of consceince resolved. The glorious priviledges of them that are Christs, with the way to know whether we are of that blessed number. Also, election before the foundation of the world asserted, and the faith of Gods elect, what it is: together with Christs compassions to sinners. / By Martin Fynch, a weak labourer in the Lords harvest, in Lincolnshire.--

"THE EPISTLE TO THE READER.

Reader,

If thou art carnal, and a stranger to the paths of Sion, this ensuing Treatise will seem meer foolishness to thee: for the things therein contained, are spiritually discerned, but if thou art truly godly, I hope, what is here presented to thee, may be of some use through the supply of the Spirit of Jesus Christ. I do not bring forth this as Meat for strong men, but as Milk for Babes in Christ; it was Christs word to Peter, Feed my Lambs. There is a great deal of head knowledge abroad in the world, but I see not that growth in Grace among Professors, that growing as Cedars in Lebanon; indeed many spend their time about opinions and Airy Notions, which will not feed Christs Lambs, which will not make their souls thrive and grow in Grace; and among other means of the growth of Babes in Christ, I have observed abundance of the blessing of God upon Christians meeting together to acquaint one another with their temptations, experiences, and the Fathers dealings with them.

David tells us how he and other Saints, took sweet counsel together: how many Babes in Christ have found such meetings, (through the presence of Christ) Milk and Hony to their souls! but O alas, what sad occasion have we to complain and lament, that though Christians in former times would venture far to enjoy such opportunities, yet now we have liberty, and may speak often one to, and with another, yet now, O what deadness, backwardness, and neglect is there! surely professors, like the Virgins, slumber and sleep; and well were it, if with the Spouse we could say, I sleep, but my heart waketh. The Lord awaken and rouse up the spirits of Christians, that they may up and be doing; cert inly Saints are not so good as the wicked of the world thought they would have been, when the Lord took off the yoak of bondage that galled their necks, and had such liberty and such a price put into their hands; the world thought and said, How will these people now have their meetings to confirm one another, and to increase their party? but alas, we slumber, and the devil is sowing Tares, not onely without us, but within us, transforming himself into an Angel of light, and perswades many to neglect communion of Saints and meetings, to build up one another in their most holy Faith; and O how have we forgot that exhortation of the Apostle, Heb. 10.24, 25. Let us consider one another, and provoke unto love, and to good works, not forsaking the assembling of our selves together, as the manner of some is; but exhorting one another, and so much the more, as ye see the day approaching: the Apostle speaketh there of the Saints meeting together, and therefore he saith, Let us consider one another, and not forsaking the assembling of our selves together; now he presseth this, not to neglect these assemblings of themselves together, by how much the more we see the day approaching; what day is that? Why there is, 1. The day of death; and by how much the more we see that day approaching, Saints should lay hold upon all opportunities of consolation and growth in grace. 2. There is a day and time of Apostacy, when even those that have been Professors shall give heed to seducing spirits, and the Doctrine of devils; and this seemeth to be the day here meant; for the Apostle within two or three verses speaketh of trampling under foot the Son of God; and by how much the more we see that day approaching, we should not neglect such opportunities; and doth not that day approach, nay have not our eyes already seen that day? do not we live in those times which the Scripture calls perilous times, wherein men shall be blasphemers? &c. And yet this doth not bring Saints together. There is a third day, and that is called the day of the Lord, and is not that day approaching? is not he coming? do not we listen for that cry at midnight?

Behold the Bridegroom cometh, and yet this day approaching doth not make us watchful and diligent in the ways of Christ; but what keepeth us off from such seekings after God, as formerly Christians were wont to have? why we are full, like the Laodiceans. O Christians! have we drawn our God dry? Hath not the Lord further of himself to communicate to us? O may not Christ say to us as he did to the Laodiceans, thou art poor and miserable! Want of love also among Christians is a great hinderance of their communion one with another; men are so rigid in their own principles, that if others be not of the same opinion with them in every thing, they will not meet to pray together, nor confer together; O where is that Gospel Spirit of love! But I shall exceed the bounds of an Epistle; You have in this Treatise something concerning Election.

I know some will distaste it; that is, a Doctrine that all the Devils in Hell, and all carnal men have a spirit of antipathy, and spirit of opposition to; and I know those who in any measure bear witness to that Truth of God, shall be sure of opposition from the world; but through the Grace of Christ I have learnt not to fear the reproaches of men, nor to be afraid of their revilings: much opposition hath been made against that Truth by Papists, Arminians, and of late by some that profess more of Christ; Yet none of them have or can shake that Truth; for it is the foundation of God that standeth sure; the Lord lead us into all Truth, and let thy kingdom O Lord Jesus come quickly, and own thy despised truths and ways. Amen, even so come Lord Jesus.

Bellew the 17 of the month commonly called March 1652.

So prays he who is waiting and longing for his appearing, MARTIN FYNCH."

Last edited:
I would put Foxe's Book of Martyrs and Pilgrim's Progress on the list. Books that were on almost every Puritan's shelf beside the Bible.

Perhaps a book on each of the following (with suggested authors):
1. The attributes of God - George Swinnock, AW Pink
2. Knowing God / Communion with God - John Owen, JI Packer, Henry Scougal
3. Westminster Shorter Catechism - can include Thomas Vincent's exposition
4. Key practical doctrines like Justification (Robert Traill), Repentance (Thomas Watson), Mortification (Owen), etc.
5. Jesus Christ - Thomas Goodwin, Jonathan Edwards

Last edited:
I want to get a well rounded list from John Flavel to Calvin from spurgeon to pink looking to find 5 books that focus on life as a Christian and how to walk it.
Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices by Thomas Brooks
Refreshment for the Soul by Richard Sibbes
All Things for Good by Thomas Watson
Heaven Taken by Storm by Thomas Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back