Looking for topical devotional psalm resources

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Mordecai

Puritan Board Freshman
I would like to find a resource where I can locate psalms based on topics and perhaps with some meditations on the psalm. My hope is to learn to pray the psalms as part of morning devotions.

I would like to find a resource where I can locate psalms based on topics and perhaps with some meditations on the psalm. My hope is to learn to pray the psalms as part of morning devotions.
Check out the 1650 Psalter app in iTunes . I have been using it lately, you can search the Psalms by number, but also by topic. The app also has a commentary for each psalm.

If you have an iPhone, the below link should work :
1650 Split Leaf Psalter by Romesh Prakashpalan https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/1650-split-leaf-psalter/id1198280376?mt=8

Hopefully this has at least some of what you’re looking for.

I have also found the below link really helpful as my family has tried to incorporate Psalm singing in family worship… This site provides a small little explanation of each Psalm along with a tune for singing.

http://thewestminsterstandard.org/1650-scottish-metrical-psalter/

I know that both of these resources are more geared towards singing, but I think both of them offer something that you are looking for (hopefully).

Last edited:
This looks promising. I found the Android version and it has topical recommendations which are helpful. I will probably have some good use from this but I was thinking more along the lines of a book that has the text of the psalm in a biblical translation (ESV, etc.) along with a few comments and/or questions.

Hi, There has been a reprint of The Psalms of David in Metre, 1650 Scottish Psalter, with notes by John Brown of Haddington. Enquiries for this are to be directed to [email protected] Permission has been given by the copy right owner to distribute in Singapore and surrounding nations. But you would have to check about America with the above email address. It has suggested tunes at the back.
The Pilgrim Covenant Church of Singapore has also produced God’s Hymn Book, to be used particularly for Heads of families new to psalmody. This has a preface of explanation to each psalm. The church has a website which also has tunes recorded for each psalm. They are slower to listen to in order for newcomers to get to know the tunes. The book is hard covered.

Not topical, but you might enjoy this devotional on all 150 psalms from our Canadian brothers.
https://us.premierpublishing.ca/all-books/Christ-s-psalms-our-psalms-devotional.html

I have read through the Psalms every month for several years. I use the schedule found in the 1662 Book of Common Prayer. I have this schedule written into my Bible. This constant cycling through the Psalms has been tremendously beneficial.

Here's a pdf of the reading scheme: The Psalms in A Month

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back