Looking for Will Whitaker's Disputations On Holy Scripture

Status
Not open for further replies.

Unworthy_Servant

Puritan Board Freshman
Will Whitaker's Disputations On Holy Scripture

I've been searching for a hard copy of this work at a reasonable price for some time now, and I thought I would ask the PB if anyone would sell it to me or loan it for a bit of time. I hear it's a phenomenal, if not the best work on Sola Scriptura ever written. I would love to read your thoughts on it if you've read it or parts of it, or if you know where I can find a copy!

Blessings in Christ.

Last edited:
I've been searching for a hard copy of this work at a reasonable price for some time now, and I thought I would ask the PB if anyone would sell it to me or loan it for a bit of time. I hear it's a phenomenal, if not the best work on Sola Scriptura ever written. I would love to read your thoughts on it if you've read it or parts of it, or if you know where I can find a copy!

Blessings in Christ.

I have read it in its entirety. It is an absolute feast. Since it was originally written in Latin, the translation feels more modern and crisp, and is easy to read. I would say it is certainly one of the very best books written on the doctrine of Scripture, and it blasts the Roman Catholic position to smithereens. Nothing left but a whimper.

The story goes that Cardinal Robert Bellarmine (who was the best apologist Rome has ever had) had a picture of Whitaker on his wall. On being asked why he kept a picture of "that heretic" on the wall, he responded by saying, "Oh, he may be a heretic, but he is a learned heretic."

An optimized version Whitaker's Disputations On Holy Scripture is available here, with Bookmarks in pdf (26MB!) format:

http://ge.tt/6iIjvHr2

[Click the Download link on the left of the page while ignoring the whirling wheel rendering the preview page]

I too have been looking for the right copy to add to my library. I have been on the fence about putting out $75 for a copy but I just may have to after the above review.

I too have been looking for the right copy to add to my library. I have been on the fence about putting out $75 for a copy but I just may have to after the above review.
Did you see the Wipf&Stock printing, with copies for 35 & 40 dollars, on the second link I provided? (The OP said "hard copy" not "hard-back copy.")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back