Looking for Works of John Howie

Status
Not open for further replies.

bened

Puritan Board Freshman
Wasn't sure where to post this but anybody know where I could find John Howie's (also spelled Howe) works?

Read a great quote of him by Ian Murray in Pentecost Today, p. 60 and thought it'd be great to get a hold of his works if they're findable and at least semi-affordable.

I've been able to find Scots Worthies via Google and Amazon searches with both name spellings but nothing else.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated.

[Edited on 7-7-2006 by bened]

John Howie, author of The Scots Worthies, lived from 1735 to 1793. That work is available here. Also see this site for more info on other works.

John Howe, a notable Puritan, lived from 1630 to 1705. Some of his works are available at the aforementioned link. See here for more biographical info.

The Scots Worthies is sold in hardback by many Christian and used booksellers, such as Crown & Covenant Publications, Abebooks, etc.

[Edited on 7-7-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

I find Howe incredibly hard to read. I tried to edit his work "Delighting in God" and gave up.

Don Kistler:pray2:

The Works of John Howe were republished in 1990 by Soli Deo Gloria.

[Edited on 7-9-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Oh, for a set of those! When I was a post-doc at Cornell (and therefore essentially had the full theology section of the library to myself, since just about nobody but me ever checked anything out from it) I had his works at home borrowed perpetually from the library. What wonderful stuff - Delighting in God, in particular! It's dense reading, moreso than Owen... but fabulous. I wish there were a way this could get out again (or at least that I was able to get a set of the previously released volumes)

Todd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back