Lord’s Supper Culminating the Preached Word and/or Worship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wrestle against the practicality of handing out the bread and wine. I do desire what I perceive as a more reverent approaching of the table, although I am also leery of a hard fence between the assured up front and center and the ‘unworthy tares.’ I’m a most unworthy wretch. I’m thankful my hope does not lie in me.

Last edited:
I wrestle against the practicality of handing out the bread and wine. I do desire what I perceive as a more reverent approaching of the table, although I am also leery of a hard fence between the assured up front and center and the ‘unworthy tares.’ I’m a most unworthy wretch. I’m thankful my hope does not lie in me.

The table is surely not only for the assured, nor is it for those who find themselves worthy. It’s for unworthy sinners who approach in a worthy manner not casting Christ underfoot.

The table is surely not only for the assured, nor is it for those who find themselves worthy. It’s for unworthy sinners who approach in a worthy manner not casting Christ underfoot.
True, but a counter-argument can be made that in some churches the table is withheld for the super unworthy….. the reluctant saint. There is no congregation in which I can be set apart in that way. I will always be in my own way. The fact that God has led me to His house of worship is enough. What brought me there is what compels me to take part in His holy sacrament. I will never be a saint and I never want to be looked at by others in such a way. At least not in my current state at this point in time. My table is that God brings me out of the world and into His house. I guess I will remain in the back row.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back