Lord’s Day 7 (2019). William Thomas, it is not the Lord's Day unless it is a Sabbath day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Lord’s Day 7 (2019). [It] "is an evil thing to profane the Sabbath day. I use the word Sabbath, not as intending to speak of, or to give any countenance to the observation of the Jews’ Sabbath (now); but as purposing to speak of the Christian Sabbath, and to take in [under that term] that only of the Jews’ day, which sometime belonged to it in the general nature and notion of a Sabbath, and with respect to that observation of a Sabbath, which (being prescribed in the Fourth Commandment) belongs to every Sabbath of God’s appointment. Nor do I (while I make use of the name [Sabbath]) deny the Lord’s day to be the more evangelical name; but I call it a Sabbath, because it will never be the Lord’s day, unless it be a Sabbath day, that is, it will never be a day of holy rest, unless it be a day of rest, which the word Sabbath signifies” (William Thomas, from Practice of Piety [1662], wherein he says, due to the pending great ejection, August 24, 1662, he penned the work for his people not having long to be their minister, among whom he labored so long; died 1667, age 74). “Christ is born, is circumcised, dies, rises again for us every day in the preaching of the Gospel” (Danæu). “This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back