"Lord" not written out in The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Relztrah

Puritan Board Freshman
Does anybody know why the name Lord is not written out completely when Richard Sibbes quotes Scripture in The Bruised Reed? When Sibbes himself refers to the Lord, he writes out the name completely. I have not seen this practice in other Puritan literature.

sibbes.jpg

Version? Publisher? Don't think this is a Sibbes thing. Maybe a superstitious publisher or a woeful misprint. My Puritan paperbook, nor my logos publications have such an abnormality. For example, Volume 1 of his works, p. 289, he quotes Ps. 91.2

Those are "LORDs," i.e. the Name, Jehovah. I am inclined to think it is simply misprinted, and had something to do with the printer's font or somesuch.

That was my initial thought too. Since the missing letters would be small caps (which are unusual and not all font faces have them), it might be that the font used didn't have the small caps or the formatting in the software was done incorrectly, or the copy/paste from whatever source didn't work.

Who is the publisher?

Banner of Truth Trust, 2008 reprinted edition from the Puritan Paperbacks series. It has to be a copy-and-paste or formatting issue. When Lord is not quoted in Scripture, it appears normally with lower case letters, not the all caps rendering.

Lord.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back