Lord's Day 49 (2018) Sir. Matthew Hale.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NaphtaliPress

Administrator
Staff member
Lord’s Day 49 (2018). “I have found by a strict and diligent observation, that a due observation of the duty of this day [the Lord’s Day], hath ever had joined to it a blessing upon the rest of my time; and the week that hath been so begun hath been blessed and prosperous to me; and on the other side, when I have been negligent of the duties of this day, the rest of the week hath been unsuccessful and unhappy to my own secular employments; so that I could easily make an estimate of my successes in my own secular employments the week following, by the manner of my passing of this day: and this I do not write lightly or inconsiderately, but upon a long and sound observation and experience.”

Matthew Hale. Directions Touching the Keeping of the Lord's Day, Four Letters of Sir Matthew Hale to His Children, Letter 1. Contemplations, moral and Divine (1695), 1.304. “Christ is born, is circumcised, dies, rises again for us every day in the preaching of the Gospel” (Danæu). “This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it” (Psalm 118:24).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back