Lord's Day Afternoons

What activities do you do on the Lord's Day/Sabbath afternoons?

• Fellowship with Believers/Family discussing Theological Matters

Votes: 5 13.5%
  • Fellowship with Believers/Family discussing Any Matters

Votes: 9 24.3%
  • Private/Family Prayer and Bible Study

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Nap

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • Watch Football/Nascar/other entertainment TV/Movies

Votes: 2 5.4%
  • Fish/Golf/Video Games/other active recreation

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go Shopping/Run other errands

• Works of Necessity

Votes: 1 2.7%
  • Works of Charity/Mercy

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonoftheday

Puritan Board Sophomore
So what activities do you do on the Lord's Day/Sabbath afternoons, between worship services, or after morning service? (check all that apply)

I am not intending for this to become a debate over that which is or is not lawful to do, rather to be a poll of what those here do.

Well, it depends on my schedule - if I've got Saturday & Sunday off, then my Sunday tends to look like church - hang out / fellowship talking about anything (incl. theology, scripture) - church. Any other work schedule involves some napping on Sunday . . . and if I'm working Saturday & Sunday I don't always make it to church at all (I work nights - sometimes 8s, sometimes 12s). So then there's a lot of acts of mercy / charity / necessity going on (I'm a nurse).

A, B, C, D, H, I

I didn't vote in the poll because the use of radio buttons seems to suggest mutually-exclusive as opposed to multiple-response, and for us most Lord's Days are not all six. It varies.

Bible study is in the broad sense for us and includes reading Christian or divine works; e.g. Gospel Worship, Bondage of the Will, catechisms, devotional material.

Since we meet in the evening, rather than the morning, I spend at least some of the afternoon hours preparing for worship (usually with a cup of coffee and an open Bible). The rest of the morning/afternoon is "whatever" time -- which can include watching football, playing outside with my daughter, napping, or... whatever.

On occasion I do other things, but I checked Private/Family Bible study, because I usually spend the chunk of my afternoon getting ready for our small group Bible study in the early evening.

Lord's Day/ Sabboth are they the same day?

Many people, including myself, believe that yes they are the same. The Lord's Day has been viewed as the Christian Sabbath throughout most of church history (or so Im told i know very little of church history).

I put the / there so that people whether they hold to it being the sabbath or the Lord's Day would still answer.

I've done all of those options at one time or another. I also can't answer this poll with one specific answer.

My favorite past time on Sunday after lunch is nap. I tier easily because of a heart condition and sleep is good for me.

I have done them all. My favortie is to fry fresh meatballs in oil with some fresh italian bread and chunks of reggiano cheese and enjoy a BIG glass of Red Wine.

Since I have two congregations, I preach in the morning and afternoon. My wife and I are gone from 10AM to 5PM, so our day is taken up in worship.

I have done them all. My favortie is to fry fresh meatballs in oil with some fresh italian bread and chunks of reggiano cheese and enjoy a BIG glass of Red Wine.

You are my kind of man. :)

As I have to drive 10 miles to get to church, the a big glass of red wine :cheers: is out of the question :( :violin:

You cannot drive in Belfast with a glass of wine? I hope your congregations use fermented wine in communion and not this watered down grape juice that Americans claim Jesus blessed. :lol:

You are my kind of man. :)

As I have to drive 10 miles to get to church, the a big glass of red wine :cheers: is out of the question :( :violin:

You cannot drive in Belfast with a glass of wine? I hope your congregations use fermented wine in communion and not this watered down grape juice that Americans claim Jesus blessed. :lol:

I have to drive to Dromara, which is out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere. Its a scary place. :eek:

I have to drive to Dromara, which is out in the countryside in the middle of nowhere. Its a scary place. :eek:

I will show you some scary places in Nova Scotia. :eek:

Lord's Day/ Sabboth are they the same day? :think::think:

What is a "Sabboth"? :scratch:

That is the term Luther uses in his uninspired hymn, A Mighty Fortress, when he refers to the phrase, "Lord Sabboth His name." I suppose you do not sing that hymn in Belfast. :lol:

A correction, Luther's hymn uses Sabaoth, not Sabboth. It means something completely different in Hebrew.

Sabaoth: "Host" (As in an army) Lord Sabaoth: Mighty God, Lord of Hosts, Lord of the Heavenly Army.

Sabbath: "Seven" (as in seventh day)

Last edited:
I picked nap, that is what I do in the afternoon from 1-4pm. After that I go to evening worship and the evening is spent in private reading, family worship, and spending time with my wife.

If we are at someone else's church, the first 2 options are usually what happens. This happens often since I preach a great deal around Mississippi.

So I would have chosen one of the first four options. Although, I attempt to guard my discussion. I won't talk about ANYTHING. I try not to talk about sports, work, or school.

Fellowship and discuss any matters and nap. Couldn't pick both so I chose the first.

I do the most spiritual of all . . . meditate on the PB.

Quite often I do the same. We have very few reformed theological outlets here and the PB thus becomes the outlet and where I like to spend the afternoon on the Lord's Day.

What is a "Sabboth"? :scratch:

That is the term Luther uses in his uninspired hymn, A Mighty Fortress, when he refers to the phrase, "Lord Sabboth His name." I suppose you do not sing that hymn in Belfast. :lol:

A correction, Luther's hymn uses Sabaoth, not Sabboth. It means something completely different in Hebrew.

Sabaoth: "Host" (As in an army) Lord Sabaoth: Mighty God, Lord of Hosts, Lord of the Heavenly Army.

Sabbath: "Seven" (as in seventh day)

You still ain't answered the question Vic, what is a "Sabboth"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back