Lord's Day reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
Since the Lord's Day is the day when the majority of us are able to get most of our spiritual reading done, I would be interested to know what authors/books you are currently reading. There are some books that I read during the week, but some - usually bigger ones - that I only read on the Sabbath. Here is my list for this Lord's Day:

J. C. Ryle on Matthew.
John Owen's Works volume 6 (I am currently on The Mortification of Sin, though I hope to reread the whole volume this week).
Patrick Fairbairn's sermon in The Free Church Pulpit.
Athanasius, Against the Heathen.
Moïse Amyraut, A Treatise Concerning Religions.
Francis Turretin's Institutes.
Augustine, On the Free Choice of the Will (I have been going through this one slowly for a few weeks, though it is only a short work).
David Dickson, Sermons on Lamentations.

I have also been using both 365 Days with John Calvin (edited by Joel Beeke) and Daily Readings from the Early Church Fathers (edited by Nick Needham). The latter is particularly helpful, both from a devotional point of view and in relation to finding significant quotes in the patristics that you might otherwise have missed.

Very nice. For myself I have been reading:

Banner's Whitefield 2 Volume Biography (just an interesting page turner)
William S. Plumer's Plain and Simple Thoughts for Children and Parents (in my experience, some of the most simple thoughts can be most striking to me)
Matthew Henry on the minor prophets (Amos & Hosea currently)
And I'm trying to decide when/if to start Beeke's systematic, I currently have both volumes. Bigger works can be intimidating to me :p

I'm always reading and re-reading:
Spurgeon's Morning and Evening
Joel Beeke's Developing a Healthy Prayer Life (because it's by far my favorite work on prayer)

Every excerpt I've seen from Ryle on the gospels is gold. My pastor loves it, and always consults him because he's currently going through Mark.

John Owen's Works volume 6 (I am currently on The Mortification of Sin, though I hope to reread the whole volume this week).

In the early morning on the Lord's day, I do my usual course of study, which right now includes reading through the Gospels, and studying Ezra and Proverbs with appropriate commentaries. But my special book, that I read slowly and meditatively on the Lord's day only, is Gurnall's, The Christian in Complete Armour. It's about a thousand pages, and I'm a little over a third done.

Regarding Owen volume 6, you will soon get to my favorite reading of all John Owen's works. That is his commentary on Psalm 130. Written after a near-death sickness where he was quite sure he would die. Oh, what a word this is. Verse 4 occupies significantly more than half of his entire exposition, ranging from page 378-605 (207pages). "But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared." Wherein he discusses in exhaustive detail what he considers the rare discovery that there is such a thing as forgiveness with God. Few there be that find it and its fullness. What a wonderful cordial that was for me earlier on in my Christian life when I so desperately needed assurance that I had my sins forgiven.

Psalms 130:1‭-‬8 KJV​
Out of the depths have I cried unto thee, O Lord.
Lord, hear my voice: let thine ears be attentive to the voice of my supplications.
If thou, Lord, shouldest mark iniquities, O Lord, who shall stand?
But there is forgiveness with thee, that thou mayest be feared.
I wait for the Lord, my soul doth wait, and in his word do I hope.
My soul waiteth for the Lord more than they that watch for the morning: I say, more than they that watch for the morning.
Let Israel hope in the Lord: for with the Lord there is mercy, and with him is plenteous redemption.
And he shall redeem Israel from all his iniquities.

Last edited:
"The Shadow of Calvary" by Hugh Martin. Brings out stunning spiritual riches from the events leading up to the crucifixion.
"Institutes", on and off.

Vol 1 of Spiritual Refining, by Anthony Burgess. My 365 days a year M'Cheyne Bible reading plan supplemented with the accompanying exegesis of D.A. Carson's For the Love of God volumes 1&2. Dipping into John Bower's The Confession of Faith A Critical Text and Introduction.

William S. Plumer's Plain and Simple Thoughts for Children and Parents (in my experience, some of the most simple thoughts can be most striking to me)

How do you like this volume? I've added it to my cart many times over the years only to remove it each time at the last second.

How would this book be most beneficial to children? I like reading out loud to my kids during our evening devotionals and wondered if it would lend itself well to that method.

Here are the books I am currently working though. I rotate around each week. I'm a very slow reader unfortunately.

JC Ryle, exposition on John
RC Sproul, exposition on John
Bondage of the Will, Martin Luther
RC Sproul, Holiness of God
Thomas Watson, The Doctrine of Repentance

The thing I try to be consistent with every week on Sunday, is before bed, to listen to and read along with a sermon by Spurgeon.

How do you like this volume? I've added it to my cart many times over the years only to remove it each time at the last second.

How would this book be most beneficial to children? I like reading out loud to my kids during our evening devotionals and wondered if it would lend itself well to that method.
I've enjoyed the little that I've read of it. I cannot speak to the peculiar benefits of children, because I don't have any. However, I do think the illustrations and application that he draws out from the text are very accessible, and each topic is only 4-5 pages. So you could either read the whole thing for your family worship, or expand on a couple points he makes. At the end of every topic, he has a section called "PRAYER", where he offers up a collective/corporate style prayer in correlation to the topic he speaks on. He had a heart for children and greatly desired to make the person of Christ comprehensible, even to a babe.

I've spent $10 on worse things personally, and that's not to say I don't like it, because I do. It's also sewn if that makes any difference to you.

Here's an excerpt I took a snapshot of the other week. PXL_20201130_070009635.jpg

William Perkins Exposition of the Creed
William Ames Marrow of Theology
John Owen Volume 5 Doctrine of Justification
James Buchanan Doctrine of Justification
William Cunningham Historical Theology
John Davenant Treatise on Justification
George Bull Harmonia Apostolica
William Beveridge Ecclesia Anglicana Ecclesia Catholica
Walter Marshall Gospel Mystery of Sanctification
John Owen Volume 15 Instruction in the Worship of God
Charles Bridges Proverbs

William Beveridge Ecclesia Anglicana Ecclesia Catholica

What was the theological outlook of William Beveridge? I see that he wrote a systematic theology: The Doctrine of the Church of England Consonant to Scripture, Reason, and the Fathers: A Complete System of Divinity (2 vols.)

Learning to Love the Psalms by Robert Godfrey
The Westminster Confession of Faith - Study Book by Jospeh A. Pipa Jr.

What was the theological outlook of William Beveridge? I see that he wrote a systematic theology: The Doctrine of the Church of England Consonant to Scripture, Reason, and the Fathers: A Complete System of Divinity (2 vols.)
So that actually is Ecclesia Anglicana Ecclesia Catholica. Basically he was one of the dwindling post-revolution Reformed Anglican theologians. He defends justification by imputation of Christ's merits and satisfaction through faith alone, holds an Augustinian/Thomist/Reformed understanding of predestination, this all in addition to him holding orthodox notions of the Godhead, covenant theology, original sin, free will and the like. Actually his section on God's simplicity is very good in the exposition of the 39 Articles. Ironically enough, his 12 Volumes of works were republished as part of the Library of Anglo-Catholic Theology by the Tractarians, yet he's one of the most sweetly evangelical writers I've read. The last 2 volumes of that set were his defense of Episcopacy so that probably merited his inclusion in that set. He was very much a Royalist and had a very high view of Episcopacy.

So that actually is Ecclesia Anglicana Ecclesia Catholica. Basically he was one of the dwindling post-revolution Reformed Anglican theologians. He defends justification by imputation of Christ's merits and satisfaction through faith alone, holds an Augustinian/Thomist/Reformed understanding of predestination, this all in addition to him holding orthodox notions of the Godhead, covenant theology, original sin, free will and the like. Actually his section on God's simplicity is very good in the exposition of the 39 Articles. Ironically enough, his 12 Volumes of works were republished as part of the Library of Anglo-Catholic Theology by the Tractarians, yet he's one of the most sweetly evangelical writers I've read. The last 2 volumes of that set were his defense of Episcopacy so that probably merited his inclusion in that set. He was very much a Royalist and had a very high view of Episcopacy.

Thanks; this information rings a bell. Now that you mention William Beveridge, I recall listening to a lecture on John Edwards and Reformed theologians in the CofE post-1662 wherein Beveridge was briefly discussed.

Thanks; this information rings a bell. Now that you mention William Beveridge, I recall listening to a lecture on John Edwards and Reformed theologians in the CofE post-1662 wherein Beveridge was briefly discussed.
I've seen good reviews of this, busting the mistaken notion that Reformed theology had wholly left the CoE until the Evangelical Revival. But being over $100, I have not made the dive.

I've seen good reviews of this, busting the mistaken notion that Reformed theology had wholly left the CoE until the Evangelical Revival. But being over $100, I have not made the dive.

Yes, at that price, I will have to give it a miss. These days, you cannot even visit a library to read it.

Since the Lord's Day is the day when the majority of us are able to get most of our spiritual reading done, I would be interested to know what authors/books you are currently reading. There are some books that I read during the week, but some - usually bigger ones - that I only read on the Sabbath. Here is my list for this Lord's Day:

J. C. Ryle on Matthew.
Patrick Fairbairn's sermon in The Free Church Pulpit.
Athanasius, Against the Heathen.
Moïse Amyraut, A Treatise Concerning Religions.
Francis Turretin's Institutes.
Augustine, On the Free Choice of the Will (I have been going through this one slowly for a few weeks, though it is only a short work).
David Dickson, Sermons on Lamentations.

I have also been using both 365 Days with John Calvin (edited by Joel Beeke) and Daily Readings from the Early Church Fathers (edited by Nick Needham). The latter is particularly helpful, both from a devotional point of view and in relation to finding significant quotes in the patristics that you might otherwise have missed.

I forgot to update this one for last Sabbath, though it was much the same but with Thomas Aquinas' The Golden Chain on Matthew replacing Athanasius. I was also reading John Colquhoun's Evangelical Repentance, which is outstanding. This Lord's Day, I intend to read the following works:

David Dickson's commentary on Philippians
Johann Gerhard, The Sum of Christian Doctrine
Duncan MacFarlan's sermon in The Free Church Pulpit
Francis Turretin's Institutes
A. A. Hodge, The Day Changed and the Sabbath Preserved (read)
Alexander Blaikie, A Catechism of Praise (read)
Gerald L. Bray, Timothy F. George, Scott M. Manetsch (eds), Reformation Commentary on Scripture X: Galatians, Ephesians (I am currently on Galatians 4, though I have been reading this one, on and off, for some time)
David King, An Exposition and Defence of the Presbyterian Form of Church Government
Augustine, On the Free Choice of the Will

I was also thinking of reading one of C. H. Spurgeon's sermons from a volume of the Metropolitan Tabernacle Pulpit that I purchased recently or maybe start re-reading J. I. Packer's Knowing God.

Last edited:
What are your thoughts on this work? He was Lutheran, correct?

Yes, he was a Lutheran scholastic. It is a highly interesting and instructive work, though, as Reformed people, we would take issue with some of his positions here and there. He did not seem as extreme on communion as I thought he would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back