Louisville Bible College

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheocraticMonarchist

Puritan Board Junior
I’m currently considering schools to finish my undergraduate degree. What do you guys think of Louisville Bible College? They’re close and affordable, but they’re Campbellite (Church of Christ). Their Statement of faith mentions the restoration movement too. What do you guys think?

Welcome to Louisville Bible College

Make sure up front that they let students graduate without signing their statement of faith.

I would stay away from schools that stray too far from your own doctrinal beliefs.

If you're wanting a Bible College in the Louisville area... just suck it up and go to Boyce. Academically and theologically it would be vastly superior to Louisville Bible College. Plus you can take courses at the seminary with permission... so you would have all the academic resources of Southern Seminary at your disposal.

Money may be important, but it isn't everything.

Restorationism is so highly Arminian (at this point in history) that it is difficult to recommend it.

Ben, Jonathan and I (and others on the PB) have talked extensively about Boyce. It is incredibly expensive. He was advised (and I agree) that it is poor stewardship to go into massive debt (20,000+ a year I believe) to attend Boyce and then incur more debt at seminary after that.

After he gets two years of community college under his belt, he might be interested in Boyce (half the cost then). But he asked me the other day about LBC, and I was concerned but suggested he post a thread on the PB. The whole "Restoration movement" statement on their website (it's not spelled out clearly there) especially concerned me. Does anybody know anything about this in the Church of Christ?

-----Added 3/6/2009 at 02:10:03 EST-----

Restorationism is so highly Arminian (at this point in history) that it is difficult to recommend it.

Thanks for that insight, Dennis. Could you elaborate about what this teaches?

Ben, Jonathan and I (and others on the PB) have talked extensively about Boyce. It is incredibly expensive. He was advised (and I agree) that it is poor stewardship to go into massive debt (20,000+ a year I believe) to attend Boyce and then incur more debt at seminary after that.

I added up the tuition cost from their website. If he becomes a member of an SBC church he'd pay about $6000 per year. If he stays non-SBC it would cost him about $12000 per year. If that counts as "incredibly expensive," ok.

When you factor in that there are many jobs around there that will take out a massive chunk of that cost (UPS being a huge employer of Southern/Boyce students), the cost is not bad at all.

Again, Louisville Bible College is for people who just want to be able to say "I have a degree." I think that in terms of actually learning he'd be better off just reading everything on Monergism.com and then sending $50 to one of those "mail order degree" places. :2cents:

This is off the top of my head but here goes...

The "Restoration" movement is also known as the Stone-Campbellite movement. Basically, a renegade Baptist and a rebel Presbyterian joined forces to "return" to the practices of the early church (as they reasoned). Modern churches such as the Disciples of Christ, Christian Churches, and Churches of Christ trace their lineage to this movement.

It's baptistic (sometimes to the point of baptismal regeneration) and highly Arminian. The Disciples of Christ have joined the mainline but the other groups tend to be fundamentalist revivalists. Some congregations that identify themselves as a "Church of Christ" are opposed to instruments in worship. The creed "No creed but Christ" originated from these guys.

Looks like Wikipedia has some more info: click here.

If you're looking to benefit from a Christian education, I'd warn you to steer clear. If you're looking to finish a degree in engineering, I don't know if I'd be incredibly concerned as long as they don't require chapel attendance or something like that.

I added up the tuition cost from their website. If he becomes a member of an SBC church he'd pay about $6000 per year. If he stays non-SBC it would cost him about $12000 per year. If that counts as "incredibly expensive," ok.

I don't think he's interested in becoming SBC, and I believe he was factoring in other things besides tuition: room, board, books, fees, etc. $20,000 was the figure he quoted to me, If I recall correctly.

Here's a link to his original thread about paying for undergrad. He details the costs there, and it is followed by the wise council not to go into heavy debt, especially when seminary may very well follow.

When you factor in that there are many jobs around there that will take out a massive chunk of that cost (UPS being a huge employer of Southern/Boyce students), the cost is not bad at all.

Again, Louisville Bible College is for people who just want to be able to say "I have a degree." I think that in terms of actually learning he'd be better off just reading everything on Monergism.com and then sending $50 to one of those "mail order degree" places. :2cents:

Ben,

There are other expenses associated with attending Boyce. Room, board, and books bring it to about 20k a year. I would have to shell out $1200-1400 /mo for 10 years in order to pay for an undergrad degree. Even if I were baptist, I would have to pay $700 /mo for 10 years in addition to seminary expenses. Perhaps I could justify the debt if I were going to be an astrophysicist, but the last time I checked preachers weren’t exactly paid on the same scale.

Check out this thread to see the expenses.

http://www.puritanboard.com/f55/paying-undergrad-38648/

(sorry about the format, the PBoard killed it when I pasted it in)

What is the academic freedom like? Even beyond the question of if they'll admit you without agreeing to their statement of faith is how do they treat students who disagree? Would one be permitted to write papers from a Reformed perspective? To interact with the professor in class on the matter?

At TMC, I could write my papers from a thoroughly non-dispensational perspective (most glaring was my Minor Prophets paper in which I explained how many of the prophecies were fulfilled in the church) without penalty, and my theology professor had me explain the Calvinist view on the Lord's Supper to a student when he couldn't, and he was very gracious in disagreeing with me when I answered his question on why the second coming has been delayed (well and truly he was my favourite prof). So academic freedom is no small matter to consider.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back