"Love is Love"

Status
Not open for further replies.
She is a treasure. I just got her new book yesterday and started in immediately. Tremendous so far, convicting. I'll reviewed here eventually.

She is a treasure. I just got her new book yesterday and started in immediately. Tremendous so far, convicting. I'll reviewed here eventually.
I was going to snap it up but I'm waiting to see if Crossway does it's yearly eBook sale in a couple of months.

I was going to snap it up but I'm waiting to see if Crossway does it's yearly eBook sale in a couple of months.
That military discipline is coming through. I still have some to read from last years sale. This came up and I “had” to get it.

Saying "love is love" is utterly disingenuous. It's the rhetorical ploy of worldlings who know that most people are practically mindless. In fact, "Love is love" is like saying "water is water."

Saying "love is love" is utterly disingenuous. It's the rhetorical ploy of worldlings who know that most people are practically mindless. In fact, "Love is love" is like saying "water is water."
What is breathtaking is how quickly that phrase has entered and left common usage. Now it sounds so 2014.

What is breathtaking is how quickly that phrase has entered and left common usage. Now it sounds so 2014.
When President Obama was elected President in 2008, I thought at the time that America had sort of crossed a Rubicon of pure sophistry. The cultural currents that got us there were already coming in, but I remember being overseas and thinking that the Democrats were sunk as Obama ascended in the primaries because he was little more than someone who dealt in slogans over substance.

America intellectually, religiously, and culturally was in a position to be simply pushed over when Obama "evolved" on the issue of gay marriage.

I think Trueman's book "The Rise and Triumph of the Modern Self" gives substance to the whole thing. All of us who grew up in a time when there was a pretty common contact with reality in America have lived through it and wonder how America went collectively insane.

It's gotten so crazy that even Classical Liberals are regretting what has been unleashed but don't see themselves as the architects of Western decline.

The pressing issue is not merely the cultural captivity (which is bad enough), but it causes massive reverberations in the trust of Institutions. They want everyone to ignore reality and chant "Yes We Can!" or "Love is Love!", but then when the same Institutions want us to believe them about other things going on in the world, they wonder why their "facts" are not trusted. Social trust is the reason why Western Democracies have traditionally flourished and this slogan embodies why the collapse of social trust leads to decay and chaos. One might as well placard "Love is Love" over the major urban areas that are descending into chaos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back