Love made Him come in the way of justice

Status
Not open for further replies.

MW

Puritanboard Amanuensis
Robert Traill (The Lord's Prayer, John 17:24), Works 2:14-15:

The best thought of Christ’s death is, That he died out of love to his people. Love made him come in the way of justice. Justice and the law saith, as it were, “Thou or they must die. They have sinned, the law must be fulfilled, justice must be satisfied.” Blessed Jesus answers, “I love them too well to let them die; I will rather die for them, that they may live.” Christ’s death is still laid on his love, John 10; Gal. 2:20; Eph. 5:25, 26. He loved us, and washed us from our sins in his own blood, Rev. 1:5; that is, He loved us so that he shed his own blood for our sins; and then in the same love he washed us from our sins, in and by that blood which he shed in love. O such love! such blood! such washing! Here is salvation, and here only. It is a damning dream to expect it any where else.

When my wife asked to explain predestination I answered as simply as I could by stating that the reason you or I believe in Jesus is because He loves us. I did this without bringing into the conversation the thought of those who are not predestined into the eternal life of Jesus, even though I know this was in the back of both our minds, and why she asked me to explain predestination.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back