Love your enemies

Status
Not open for further replies.

David FCC

Puritan Board Freshman
During our lives we meet all sorts of different people, some we like, some we love, some we dislike & some we even say we hate; I know unfortunately I have said it about people in the past.
There is one enemy we should all have and that is Satan; The one who would love nothing more than for us to be using the word hate all the time, To be getting confrontational with people, to be talking behind people’s backs and even to be getting abusive towards others.

Who are your enemies?
Think about it, are there people you dislike for one reason or another? Maybe someone who you heard had said something nasty about you or your family/friends, it could be someone who treated you badly in school, a work colleague, someone who was once a friend whom you have fallen out with or maybe it’s someone you are envious of for something they have or a position they hold.
What good is it doing having these feelings about people?
Would Jesus have had these feelings?

If you read about Jesus in the New Testament you will note that he was treated much worse than we could imagine.
He was betrayed by one of his own, Judas Iscariot.

“Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver”
Matthew 26:14-15

How would you feel if one of your closest friends sold you onto the cross for thirty pieces of silver?

He was then apprehended in the garden of Gethsemane;
Jesus asked the crowd that were gathered

“Are ye come out as against a thief with swords and staves for to take me? I sat daily with you teaching in the temple, and ye laid no hold on me”
Matthew 26:55

Did anyone speak up for the Son of God?
We are then told of how none of the disciples stood up for Jesus in his hour of need.

“ Then all the disciples forsook him, and fled”
Matthew 26:56

How would you have felt then? The very best of your friends………………..GONE when you needed them most!!
Jesus knew that Judas had betrayed him yet in verse 50 this is how He addresses him;
“Friend, wherefore art thou come?”
FRIEND? How amazing that he could still call him that, could you?

We are told that is what we must do as Christians,

“For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you:But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses”
Matthew Chapter 6 verses 14-15

We must have more love for our enemies now than we had for our closest friends before we found God, it is what is asked & expected of us.

Matthew 5:44​
“Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you"​

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back