low cost ATS accredited Seminary around the east cost

Status
Not open for further replies.
I could continue on my current track with my current degree, but not only am I no longer passionate about that field - I would be studying material that I have no intentions of practicing.

May I ask what field you are currently studying? Just curious.

Information security - computer science degree - sometimes called information assurance. I am particularly focused on physical security (B&E), network intrusion detection, and malware analysis.

Since we're recommending, and all... http://www.gpts.edu (not ATS accred.)

GPTS is one of those schools who market their dislike towards accreditation as a whole as a way to prevent government over site of their educational practices. I'm not saying its a bad school, I'm saying they are unwilling to submit towards accreditation which vouches for the quality of their services and any degree I would receive from there.

Looking towards the future, I'm fairly certain secular employers would turn me away for having a non accredited degree from a religious organization.

GPTS is one of those schools who market their dislike towards accreditation as a whole as a way to prevent government over site of their educational practices. I'm not saying its a bad school, I'm saying they are unwilling to submit towards accreditation which vouches for the quality of their services and any degree I would receive from there.

Looking towards the future, I'm fairly certain secular employers would turn me away for having a non accredited degree from a religious organization.

GPTS quality is far above many other ATS schools and widely regarded as one the best reformed seminaries. There is no lack of quality education.

It depends on the purpose of the M.Div. For ordained ministry, you should have different priorities than if you want to go on to later PhD programs. Depending on what church you might seek ordination in, there are plenty who would value a degree from somewhere like GPTS over many (or even most) accredited programs. There's other good non-accredited programs that are highly valued depending the church, including Whitefield Seminary and Reformed Baptist Seminary. Many denominations also have a recommended place of study for chiefly their own students that is the main route students go, including my denomination (FCC), the FPCNA, and the PRCA.

If you want to get a doctorate degree, a M.Div is not strictly necessary; you might can get an M.A. from a seminary. Also, there is the Th.M degree, which is often pursued for further more graduate level studies after the M.Div which can make it easier to get into a good doctorate program.

Disclaimer: I'll reiterate again I'm not in this trajectory and have only a BA in an unrelated field. So others may have better insight than me.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk

If you are planning on engaging in secular work, you are right to take this into consideration. I know of a man with multiple degrees (including a PhD) from an unaccredited seminary with very high academic standards. He was let go from his teaching job because his degrees were not from an accredited institution. He now works as an electrician.

It might help if you were to lay out your general plan for your education. If you play your cards right, you can get an unaccredited bachelor's degree, and use it as the basis for an accredited Master's degree. Or you can use and unaccredited M.Div. and use it as the basis for an accredited Th.M.

A couple of possible routs for picking up accreditation along the way would be:
B.A., Reformation Bible College (unaccredited) -> M.Div., RTS Charlotte (accredited)
B.A., Reformation Bible College (unaccredited) -> M.Div.,Greenville Seminary (unaccredited) -> Th.M., Puritan Seminary (accredited)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back