Lunch with John Piper

Status
Not open for further replies.

thbslawson

Puritan Board Freshman
10426669_10152067550160047_8371659636127131892_n.jpg Our eight-year-old son Isaiah was born with spina-bifida and has many physical and development delays. Ever since we got him an iPad about four years ago, one of his favorite things to do is just sit and watch video podcasts of Pastor John Piper. Well, word got around and we were able to meet him today for lunch in Knoxville, Tennessee. A dear friend commented to me...

"The most amazing part about all of this is that, while most kids Isaiah's age want to meet their favorite superhero or actor, he wanted to meet his favorite pastor. Isaiah so loves the Word of God that what made his day was meeting John Piper. Take courage in the covenant mercies of our God, my friend. If ever you doubt the work of the Holy Spirit in your child's life, look to that mark of grace. Imagine if we had a world filled with men with that same kind of love for Christ."

It has been such a blessed and encouraging day for our family. Raising a child with special needs can be extremely difficult and trying at times, but the rich blessings of God's goodness through it far outweighs the costs.

That's wonderful. Thanks be to God for your son's love for the Word, and for Dr. Piper's graciousness to encourage him in the faith.

Grace to you.

As a brother of a sister (four years my junior) who operates cognitively at a five year old level, a husband of a special education teacher, and a Special Olympic coach for 25 years, your last phrase about God's blessing and kindness resounds with me. I often say that God's glory shines clearly through those who have a disability, as His mercy and kindness is always on display. And often, despite the limitation of expression and physical affliction, the image of God is easily seen, as there is an innocence, joy, love, and peace right at the surface that we, as fully-functioning adults, are constantly fighting for.

John Piper, and his Desiring God ministry, has written books and held conferences with the goal of strengthening families who have been gifted with a family member with a disability, while maintaining a proper view of God and His sovereignty in these things. I was blessed to lead a Special Needs Ministry at the church I was sent out from, and they provided some fantastic resources to help in our mission.

I'm sure John was blessed as much as Isaiah.

How wonderful for Isaiah, Dr. Piper, and all of us who have the joy of hearing this.

So encouraged to read this! Dr. Piper has been mightily used by the Lord to bless so many people and his hunger to see the world evangelized in the unreached areas as well is so inspiring!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back