Luther, Freewill and William Lane Craig

Status
Not open for further replies.

steelbender

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello all,

I am currently reading Luther's Bondage of the Will, and am, in large part in agreement. I also am a frequent watcher of William Lane Craig's debates, and know that he is a firm believer in free will.

Has anyone heard/seen anything from WLC, on is understanding of Luther's ideas and writings, and how he might argue against Luther's ideas.

Thanks for any input.

Hi steelbender

Don't know his thoughts specifically on Luther but I do believe WLC is a Molinist, What is Molinism?

Interesting debate between WLC and Paul Helm (Molinism vs Calvinism), you might get some insight into WLC's thinking, see here - http://www.puritanboard.com/f16/william-lane-craig-Paul-helm-debate-molinism-vs-calvinism-81844/

My opinion, WLC's view of free will has come at the expense of marginalizing God's sovereignty - for starters!

William Lane Craig is a very intelligent man. He does follow, however, in the footsteps of Luis de Molina as noted above. Molina created a third category of God's knowledge called "middle knowledge"; in my estimation, out of whole cloth, to squeeze a libertarian free will idea into theology. A Molinist cannot rightly say God is omniscient. Dr. Craig denies this, though I think foolishly. On Ligonier's website, in the 2004 conference, A Portrait of God, you can watch Sinclair Ferguson's most excellent teaching on omniscience for free. I think the lecture is called A Knowledge With No End: The Omniscience of God.
Is it not human nature to want to make a God in our own image? I know I feel more comfortable with a God I made and can influence than one who is all perfections and knows all things immutably. Dr. Craig is smart, but there are much more sound men to read and spend time learning from...:2cents:

Last edited:
William Lane Craig stands in the same tradition as John Warwick Montgomery. I would be interested in how Dr. Montgomery understands original sin and its effect on man's will. Dr. Montgomery is a Lutheran. LCMS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back