Luther, "Religion is the default mode of the human heart"?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaalvenist

Puritan Board Sophomore
I have seen Tim Keller and Mark Driscoll supposedly quote Luther as saying, "Religion is the default mode of the human heart." Driscoll tends to render it as a quote, whereas Keller refers to it as an observation of his (less quote-like). They never provide a reference, however. From whence could this quote/observation possibly come?

I'm especially suspect since the Reformers did not use the word "religion" in the way these men use the word, especially for the purpose they employ the quote ("religion" vs. Jesus/relationship, etc.). Calvin didn't write the "Institutes of the Christian Relationship," after all.

Sean, Keller uses that citation his study guide "The Gospel in Life", week 2. He uses it in the context of contrasting "religion" and "irreligion" with the gospel.

I don't recall having heard Mark use it (was it in the sermon series "Religion Saves"?), but I have heard Keller use the contrast in sermons & talks. Always to contrast Religion with the Gospel. Do you know where it was that Pastor Keller contrasted "religion" with "relationship"?

Kevin, I may have spoken unadvisedly; most I know use the religion/relationship dichotomy. Regardless, I think the point still stands... I don't think any of the Reformers would ever have contrasted "religion" with "gospel."

In Keller's "The Prodigal God" (for some reason, the Google Books version doesn't number the pages), he says:
Religion operates on the principle of "I obey -- therefore I am accepted by God." The basic operating principle of the gospel is "I am accepted by God through the work of Jesus Christ -- therefore I obey." As we have seen, believing the gospel is how a person first makes a connection to God. It gives us a new relationship with God and a new identity. We must not think, however, that once believing it, the Christian is now finished with the gospel message. A fundamental insight of Martin Luther's was that "religion" is the default mode of the human heart. Your computer operates automatically in a default mode unless you deliberately tell it to do something else. So Luther says that even after you are converted by the gospel your heart will go back to operating on other principles unless you deliberately, repeatedly set it to gospel-mode.
Driscoll has used this phrase in several of his sermons.

From his sermon, "God's Hand in Our Redemption" (11 February 2007):
The problem with the people to whom Matthew is writing, is they are steeped in religion. Okay, there is religion which is caring for widows, orphans, and those in their distress. I’m talking about religion in its negative connotation. Religion in its works-oriented righteousness nature. Let me say this, in that sense, the God of the Bible hates religion. Religion is the enemy of redemption. Religion and redemption are constantly at odds. Martin Luther says, rightly, that religion is the default mode of the human heart, and that we must constantly be saved, redeemed from religion. Let me explain to you why I hate religion. Let me explain to you why Matthew begins his story of Jesus to religious people, absolutely decimating their religion and arguing for redemption.
From his sermon, "Religion and Revival" (10 June 2007):
So let me explain to you the difference between religion and Jesus or the gospel, the good news about Jesus. Some of you have heard me say this before, but Martin Luther says rightly, the great reformer, that religion is the default mode of the human heart. That you and I are so prone to forget about the gospel and go to religion it’s just this default that we have to continually be brought back and reminded about who Jesus is and what he’s done.
From his sermon, "Jesus Heals a Leper and a Paralytic" (28 February 2010):
Now, as I unpack the Pharisees, let me say this, there’s a little Pharisee in us all. There is a bit of religion in each of us. Martin Luther says, rightly, that religion is the default mode of the human heart. And at Mars Hill, our religion is being irreligious. That’s our religion. We’re like, “Oh, well we got, you know, tattoos, we got a punk rock band. Half our church has a smoke break. Alcohol’s fine. Praise God, we’re not religious.” No, we are, we’re just tattooed, chain smoking, beer-drinking religious people. That’s all we are. We’re just our own happier version, to be sure, but our own version nonetheless. And so we’ve always gotta be careful to say, you know what? It’s not like there’s religious people and irreligious people. We’re all religious people, we just have different rules on our list, so you gotta be very careful, ‘cause we’re all religious. That’s the default mode of the human heart.
From his sermon, "Jesus the Sabbath Lord" (28 March 2010):
So I hope I’ve got you all. We had a few laughs at the religious people, but the truth is there’s a little bit of religion in all of us. Martin Luther rightly said, “Religion is the default mode of the human heart.” So let us not just start by criticizing the Pharisees, because if we do so too wholeheartedly, we’re becoming one, by appointing ourselves in the position of righteous, religious judge. That’s Jesus’ job.
Compare with this actual Luther quote, from the intro to his Commentary on Galatians (A commentary on St. Paul's Epistle ... - Google Books), p. 130:
I have taken in hand, in the name of the Lord, yet once again to expound this Epistle of St. Paul to the Galatians; not because I do desire to teach new things, or such as ye have not heard before, especially since that, by the grace of Christ, Paul is now thoroughly known unto you; but for that (as I have often forewarned you) this we have to fear as the greatest and nearest danger, lest Satan take from us this doctrine of faith, and bring into the church again the doctrine of works and men's traditions. Wherefore it is very necessary that this doctrine be kept in continual practice and public exercise, both of reading and hearing. And although it be never so well known, never so exactly learned, yet the devil, who continually rangeth about, seeking to devour us, is not dead. Likewise our flesh and old man is yet alive. Besides this, all kinds of temptations do vex and oppress us on every side; wherefore, this doctrine can never be taught, urged, and repeated enough. If this doctrine be lost, then is also the doctrine of truth, life, and salvation, lost and gone. If this doctrine flourish, then all good things flourish; religion, the true service of God, the glory of God, the right knowledge of all things which are necessary for a Christian man to know. Because, therefore, we would be occupied and not idle, we will there begin now where we made an end, according to the saying of the son of Sirach: "When a man hath done what he can, he must begin again."
Sounds like he said that "religion" is a good thing; flourishes when the doctrine of justification by faith alone flourishes; and is necessary for a Christian man to know.

I just don't care for it when innovators wish to to cast "religion" in a bad light, contrary to the entire Christian church for the last two thousand years, and contrary to the very Reformers they are attempting to press into their service on this matter. (At least they don't have the temerity to try to make such a claim of Calvin.)

So, again, where can the quote/reference/citation be found in the works of Luther?

If Luther did say it, he probably meant that humans are, by nature, prone to worshipping something--they will have a religion, whether it be the true religion or a false one. I agree that Luther wouldn't have used "religion" as an antonym for "gospel." "Religion vs. the Gospel" is a false dichotomy and an abuse of the English language. :)

And maybe the German language too? ;)

I too would like to see the direct quote if it exists. But I suspect it is not a direct quote. At the least there would be translation involved, but even in translation I can't recall Keller using it as a direct quote. And Keller's typical use of the word "religion" is, as you've pointed out, quite different from the use of the word in Reformation days.

It sounds as if you like the word "religion" and don't appreciate it being referred to as a bad thing. Am I right?

I too think there's much to like about the word "religion." But I also think Keller has caught on to how this word is used and perceived by many people today. And rather than try hopelessly to redeem the word, he's been a smart apologist and accepted their definition. So Keller defines "religion" as works righteousness: "trying to please/appease God by being good" or "what you must do for God." Then he contrasts this with the gospel (not with "relationship," as you assumed, but more typically with "what God does for you"). In this way, he affirms the negative views people have of "religion," but does so in a way that redirects them back to the gospel.

I think it's a useful tactic in apologetics today, and one of Keller's better contributions. And because Keller accepts the definition of "religion" as "works righteousness," he's right when he says Luther wrote that it is the natural inclination of the human heart—even though Luther might not have used the word "religion" to describe it. I doubt Luther used "default mode" either. Keller is restating Luther's ideas using New Yorker language.

For those of us who grew up using "religion" as a positive word meaning something else, this way of speaking can be hard to accept at first. But there's some wisdom in being able to use the word as many unbelievers today use it, and being able to show them that if it's works righteousness they don't like, then Jesus in fact agrees with them.

Phil, that is the book that I referenced above.

The use of "religion" by Keller is an acknowledgement that we live in a post-christian culture. The reformers refered to "Idolatry" to contrast the religion of the RCC, with the true religion. The RCC could, I suppose, have objected that they did not worship any of the Ba'al images that the Prophets had in mind when they condemned "Idolatry".

The Reformers were correct in calling the religion of the RCC Idolatry. And Pastor Keller is correct to call all attempts to save ourselves Religion.

Unbelievers use "religion" to mean a system of beliefs and practices, such as Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, etc.

It's evangelical Christians who use "religion" to mean "works-righteousness."

Correct Austin. And christianity will no more save anyone then will islam, or hinuism. So I still think that the use is valid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back