Mac's Time Machine????

Status
Not open for further replies.

OPC'n

Puritan Board Doctor
I just got a notice on my mac that my mac has not been backed up for 41 days and the reason was "failed" and that I needed to see if I had enough space or change preference. What is this all about? Just one more thing breaking down in my house! :(

Time Machine can fail for a few different reasons. How much space do you have left on your backup drive?

Use Linux.

bonk.gif

Unhelpful!

I just got a notice on my mac that my mac has not been backed up for 41 days and the reason was "failed" and that I needed to see if I had enough space or change preference. What is this all about? Just one more thing breaking down in my house! :(

May be time to upgrade:

Windows XP home page

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Sarah, if you click on your backup drive in Finder, you can press Cmd-I to get the info on it, including the free space remaining. The resulting dialog box will look something like this (the red arrow is pointing to remaining space available) . . .

Also, if you get a chance, open up Disk Utility (located in the "Utilities" subfolder of your "Applications" folder) and run "Repair Disk" on your backup drive. That's been known to fix Time Machine issues as well.

May be time to upgrade:

Windows XP home page

:rolleyes: Every time I have to use XP, I have an overwhelming sense of gratitude when I get to go back to OS X. Nightmare of a user experience. I'll stick with UNIX, thanks. I like my Terminal.

Don't forget to check your connections! How're you connected to the drive? Did any cables come loose? In the past when my Time Machine backups have failed, it's been because of a connection issue.

May be time to upgrade:

Windows XP home page

*sigh* :rolleyes:

Sarah, if you click on your backup drive in Finder, you can press Cmd-I to get the info on it, including the free space remaining. The resulting dialog box will look something like this (the red arrow is pointing to remaining space available) . . .

Also, if you get a chance, open up Disk Utility (located in the "Utilities" subfolder of your "Applications" folder) and run "Repair Disk" on your backup drive. That's been known to fix Time Machine issues as well.

I don't see anything that says "backup driver". Is it in applications?

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 06:48:46 EST-----

May be time to upgrade:

Windows XP home page

:rolleyes: Every time I have to use XP, I have an overwhelming sense of gratitude when I get to go back to OS X. Nightmare of a user experience. I'll stick with UNIX, thanks. I like my Terminal.

Don't forget to check your connections! How're you connected to the drive? Did any cables come loose? In the past when my Time Machine backups have failed, it's been because of a connection issue.

Maybe that's my problem.....I don't have any cables except for the one that hooks it up to my outlet for electricity. :think:

No, I mean the external hard drive that you've set up for Time Machine to use. It should have an icon (along with your primary hard drive) on your Desktop or in your Finder sidebar. Like this . . .

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 06:52:47 EST-----

Maybe that's my problem.....I don't have any cables except for the one that hooks it up to my outlet for electricity. :think:

Oh...

So you don't have an external hard drive?

Are you using a Time Capsule, then? You can connect to Time Capsules wirelessly (and since you don't have any cables, I'm assuming that that's what you've been doing up to this point)... If you go to ~/Applications/Utilities/Air Port Utility you can check to see what all you're hooked up to. Does it show up there?

ETA: And if you are using a TC, is the little light green or orange?

No, I mean the external hard drive that you've set up for Time Machine to use. It should have an icon (along with your primary hard drive) on your Desktop or in your Finder sidebar. Like this . . .

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 06:52:47 EST-----

Oh...

So you don't have an external hard drive?

Oh, hahahahahahaha! Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr! Has it been 41 days since I crashed my external hard drive for my PC that had EVERYTHING on it which was lost when I stupidly hooked it up to my mac????????? Well, nothing like a machine to remind you of sad events!!! You've solved the problem........I'm blond! :(

-----Added 9/18/2009 at 06:57:02 EST-----

Are you using a Time Capsule, then? You can connect to Time Capsules wirelessly (and since you don't have any cables, I'm assuming that that's what you've been doing up to this point)... If you go to ~/Applications/Utilities/Air Port Utility you can check to see what all you're hooked up to. Does it show up there?

ETA: And if you are using a TC, is the little light green or orange?

Yep! I'm using a time capsule......it's called being blond and not being of this world! It's a really great time capsule when you want to forget all your problems......:)

I'm actually running Linux tonight - this machine came with Vista, and they didn't have an upgrade to XP available. So it's easier and a lot faster to boot from CD.

But reading the instructions here, it is a lot easier to check hard drive usage in XP than in Mac.

But reading the instructions here, it is a lot easier to check hard drive usage in XP than in Mac.

I dunno. Cmd-I isn't really that much tougher to press than Alt-Enter or Windows-E. :lol:

In Vista (as noted upthread, I'm on my Vista/Linux machine, not my Windows box)

Click on the Windows Icon.
Click on the word 'Computer'

versus:

Find 'Finder'. Click on it
click on your your drive
Search your documentation for the right key combo (or ask for help on the internet)
press Cmd-I

I can see why Mac users would prefer the latter - they get to interface with other Apple L33Ts (or |337s). Anyone else would say the former was much more intuitive and required fewer assists.

I dunno. Cmd-I isn't really that much tougher to press than Alt-Enter or Windows-E. :lol:

In Vista (as noted upthread, I'm on my Vista/Linux machine, not my Windows box)

Click on the word 'Computer'

versus:

Find 'Finder'. Click on it
click on your your drive
Search your documentation for the right key combo (or ask for help on the internet)
press Cmd-I

I can see why Mac users would prefer the latter - they get to interface with other Apple L33Ts (or |337s). Anyone else would say the former was much more intuitive and required fewer assists.

Well, "Finder" does not have to be "found". It's the Mac equivalent of Windows Explorer. Not only that, but all icons for all drives are automatically shown on the Desktop.

But, I can play this game too!

Mac:
Right-click drive icon on desktop.
Click "Get Info".

Windows:
Find the "Windows Icon".
Search your documentation for the correct icon (or ask for help on the Internet)
Click "Computer"

See?! :lol:

Anyway, glad to have helped, Sarah! :D

A quick right-click on the drive you're interested in; choose Properties.

2nk0tl.jpg

So Windows is easier.

Not unless you're suggesting that "Properties" is somehow easier to click on than "Get Info."

Mac: "A quick right-click on the drive you're interested in; choose Get Info."
Windows: "A quick right-click on the drive you're interested in; choose Properties."

Where's the greater ease in either? :lol:

Windows: "A quick right-click on the drive you're interested in; choose Properties."

That's not what I wrote. You keep changing YOUR instructions for Apple; don't try to do the same thing with what I posted.

I'll repeat it again:

Click on the word 'Computer

See, nothing about choosing properties. It's right there in plain view.

If you want to keep going on this, I'll be happy to oblige you after the Lord's Day.

That's not what I wrote. You keep changing YOUR instructions for Apple; don't try to do the same thing with what I posted.

Simply comparing apples to apples, friend (where you're comparing apples to oranges, watermelons, or kumquats)! :) Your original comparison was between what you perceive to be the simplest way to find this info in Windows and what you perceive to be a complicated way in OS X.

So, I posted an OS X analog of your "simple" Windows method. Apples to apples. (No pun intended.)

I'll repeat it again:

Click on the word 'Computer

See, nothing about choosing properties. It's right there in plain view.

Actually no, it's not. You have to click something for "Computer" to show up, just like you have to click something for "Properties" to show up. Takes just as many clicks.

Anyway, it's fine if you prefer Windows. We could just do without the baseless claims of greater ease (at least for this particular task). :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back