Major Periods or Seasons of Miracles

Status
Not open for further replies.

glowvue

Inactive User
I heard this outline yesterday on Chuck Swindoll's radio broadcast concerning five major periods of miracles in bible history. I think that it's a helpful outline to consider:

1) The time of Moses and Joshua and the Exodus
2) The time of Elijah and Elisha
3) The time of Daniel and his friends
4) The time of Jesus and the apostles
5) The unfulfilled prophecies of the Book of Revelation

I've sometimes considered that miracles were more common during the time of Moses and the Exodus than they were during the time of Jesus and the apostles. After all, the Israelites had a pillar of cloud, pillar of fire, and feeding by manna with them continually. Yet, they were characterized by unbelief and disobedience. Jesus and the apostles provide no continual display of miracles like those under Moses and Joshua.

We have these words from Luke 16:31 to remind us that miracles do not always generate faith: "If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead".

We have these words from John 5:36 to reminds us that miracles have their purpose in confirming the authority of God's messengers: "But I have greater witness than that of John: for the works which the Father hath given me to finish, the same works that I do, bear witness of me, that the Father hath sent me".

I think that I might want to add to the list the time of Creation and Adam and Eve along with the time of Noah, the gathering of the animals, and the destruction and restoration of the earth. I might also add that regeneration or the new birth is a miracle each time that a person is born again and old things pass away and all things are made new.

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new". - 2 Corinthians 5:17

I think it's accurate the miracles seem to happen in clusters or seasons when they are more common. When large numbers of people are brought to repentance, faith, and evidences of regeneration, then that season of miracles is called a revival.

Regardless of your escatalogical viewpoint, there is at least one season of miracles and the supernatural still to come. The return of Jesus Christ will be that time and season. The visible return of Jesus Christ will be a miracle and a supernatural wonder never seen previously.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back