Male and Female Modesty

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, you know I do not remember the last time I went swimming accept when I went over a 25 foot dam while whitewater kayaking and I was wearing a wet suit under a loose top and loose fitting almost to the ankles pants (only a few inches away from the ankle).. And I was swimming for my life.... :barfy:

So If I went swimming again I would probably wear that loose fitting pants...
I have seen swim wear designed for modesty and covered legs down to the ankles for sell on the internet for both man and woman...

I was quite serious.... It has been aleast 4 years since I donned my last pair of shorts.... I have gotten quite use to wearing pants in 100 degree days....

I am also never without a shirt on... Including at the pool or at the empty beach... A tee shirt is a must.... And unless with my wife privately never at a pool or beach in mixed company...

Wait you wear pants in the pool? :confused:

Ah okay, didn't know they had those. =)

Here is one being sold by wholesome wear: Modest Swimwear

EX_LG_Photo_Black-Turquoise.jpg

Here is another from Modest BodyKini

bodykini-black-pink-600.jpg

I think you get the picture... ;)
There are hundreds of websites like these that sell modest swimwear... they are polyester so they don't hold water and weigh you down....

Well, you know I do not remember the last time I went swimming accept when I went over a 25 foot dam while whitewater kayaking and I was wearing a wet suit under a loose top and loose fitting almost to the ankles pants (only a few inches away from the ankle).. And I was swimming for my life.... :barfy:

So If I went swimming again I would probably wear that loose fitting pants...
I have seen swim wear designed for modesty and covered legs down to the ankles for sell on the internet for both man and woman...

Wait you wear pants in the pool? :confused:

Ah okay, didn't know they had those. =)

Yes they apply... Because of Isaiah 47:2 I will not wear shorts in the summer... My legs are always covered...

I won't wear tight shirts either.. They are always loose fitting... But I am far from muscular... :lol:

Does modesty ever apply to men as well? Like men wearing tight shirts that show their muscles? Or men wearing no sleeved shirts or even short sleeved shirts? Or men wearing shorts? I know some women lust when they see men's arms or legs or muscles. :think:

Michael, Michael. When does the list end with you brother? Id like to know the gnosis one has to have to get this understanding form Isaiah 47. I am at a loss for words Michael. I wear shorts in the winter months most of the time.

I wear shorts in the winter months most of the time.

Heh. I never wear shorts, but not because of modesty. It's an old rancher habit: My boots look funny with shorts.

Besides, my legs have such albedo that people would have to wear sunglasses even on an overcast day. It's just not right to put them through that.

Men do not seem to be under the same standards of requirements do they? Jesus stripped down to wash his disciples feet didn't he?

Can men skinny dip together to avoid getting their clothes wet? Can women do the same? If out in the boonies and no opposite gender is around.

What about sports where special clothing is an aid to the sports. Such as running, boxing, etc. The purpose is not lust but is better utility.

Also, Coram Deo, your "Modest" woman from the middle east is still showing her hair, which is a no-no is hair is lustful. You need ALL the hair tucked in, like they do in Muslim societies.

Michael, Michael. When does the list end with you brother?

Truly, if you only knew it all.... :rofl:

Id like to know the gnosis one has to have to get this understanding form Isaiah 47.

I am not sure if this warrants a response... Besides the fact I had to look up the word gnosis... :lol:... Anyway, I already said I did not want to get deeply into right now, besides the fact we have already covered this ground previous in a post, but I do believe that was before your time here....

Its very simple... God says in Isaiah 47 "make bare the leg," and "Thy nakedness shall be uncovered, yea, thy shame shall be seen. God is using a moral analogy here and he is using a example of modesty... What more can be said.. If you make bare the leg (7785 Showq: hip, leg, thigh, entire leg) Your nakedness shall be uncovered..... Yea, thy shame shall be seen.

I am at a loss for words Michael. I wear shorts in the winter months most of the time.

I wears knit shorts to bed but that is about it... Neither Winter, Spring, Summer, or Fall would you catch me death in a pair of shorts...

Also, what rules apply for physical exams (couhg cough) and gyno visits?

Should only women be gynos and only men do the cough cough exam?

Also, how does modestly affect healthcare? How about teaching people (including children) anatomy.

Coram Deo: Ha, you do have a long list, but I am sure it is due to your zeal for the Lord. Blessings to you brother. No one can ever accuse you of being careless with your convictions.

Though in my culture, Christian women should dress in a way that does not cause men (in my culture) to lust.

Thanks. Is that what Pastor Al says?

No problem, I plan to listen to it later today; just thought I would post it in advance for the benefit of others. I presumes Pastor Martin would take this view. I think a good Biblical example of this is 1 Cor. 11:2-16, where a lady not wearing a veil was an act of immodesty (she "dishonoured her head"), while in western society today it is not immodest.

:offtopic:

The veil, if I'm not mistaken, is the hair:

"for her hair is given her for a covering."

If you seem to be contentious on this, I'm told to have no such custom. :lol:

Cheers,

Adam

Pergy,

Do these work for ya..... *Chuckling* I would prefer these above all else... :smug: *Grinning from ear to ear*

headcover.gif

citizenship.jpg

Also, Coram Deo, your "Modest" woman from the middle east is still showing her hair, which is a no-no is hair is lustful. You need ALL the hair tucked in, like they do in Muslim societies.

You can read Early Church Father Tertullian on that one......

"Let them know that the whole head constitutes "the woman." Its limits and boundaries reach as far as the place where the robe begins. The region of the veil is co-extensive with the space covered by the hair when unbound; in order that the necks too may be encircled. For it is they which must be subjected, for the sake of which "power" ought to be "had on the head:" the veil is their yoke.

…. who cover not only the head, but the face also, so entirely, that they are content, with one eye free, to enjoy rather half the light than to prostitute the entire face."

Tertullian on the Veiling of Virgins A.D. 198

How about this one :gpl:

WomenFlee~cmp30~capt_1000565819pakistan_afghanistan.jpg

:wow: :think: Good thing Tertullian wasn't divinely inspired =D

"Let them know that the whole head constitutes "the woman." Its limits and boundaries reach as far as the place where the robe begins. The region of the veil is co-extensive with the space covered by the hair when unbound; in order that the necks too may be encircled. For it is they which must be subjected, for the sake of which "power" ought to be "had on the head:" the veil is their yoke.

…. who cover not only the head, but the face also, so entirely, that they are content, with one eye free, to enjoy rather half the light than to prostitute the entire face."

Nikki

Here is another Early Church Fathers quotes regarding that picture....

1. "Canon Seventeenth. Of woman, that they should cover their faces and their heads."

Hippolytus (170-236 a.d.)

2. "And she will never fall, who puts before her eyes modesty, and her shawl; nor will she invite another to fall into sin by uncovering her face. For this is the wish of the Word, since it is becoming for her to pray veiled.”
"It has also been commanded that the head should be veiled and the face covered. For it is a wicked thing for beauty to be a snare to men.

Clement of Alexandria (153-217 a.d.)

Coram Deo: I don't know, these are quite attractive still - better go with the burlap sack over the face. Or the full ninja suit.

Pergy: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Way to Funny......

Though I will admit there is a some attractiveness to face veils that is not lustful... More of a beauty of modesty and of admiration for the one covered.......

Coram Deo: I don't know, these are quite attractive still - better go with the burlap sack over the face. Or the full ninja suit.

Oh Noes! Their HANDS are showing! :eek: So let me see if I understand this thought process correctly: women are tempting and men are unable to withstand the temptation of a woman's hair or eyelashes or hands or any part of her body. How nice to have that power. :rolleyes:

Calgal,

We have gotten alittle funny in this thread with extremes like the burkas.. No one is saying that hands must be hidden.. They are not listed anywhere in the scriptures along with other parts...

Those of us who support more fuller coverings are using descriptions from scripture of what should be covered... Body, Legs, head, etc....

Oh Noes! Their HANDS are showing! :eek: So let me see if I understand this thought process correctly: women are tempting and men are unable to withstand the temptation of a woman's hair or eyelashes or hands or any part of her body. How nice to have that power. :rolleyes:

Michael,

this is not funny really. The amazing thing is that the coverings do NOT take all responsibility from the man and frankly you guys have just as much responsibility for YOUR reactions as we women do to dress appropriately. :2cents:

Calgal,

We have gotten alittle funny in this thread with extremes like the burkas.. No one is saying that hands must be hidden.. They are not listed anywhere in the scriptures along with other parts...

Those of us who support more fuller coverings are using descriptions from scripture of what should be covered... Body, Legs, head, etc....

Could you please provide a link for men's modest swimwear as well?? I'd like to see what it looks like..

The only things I could find are with lycra wetsuits which is pretty much skin tight on men, or jeans and a t-shirt and well, men with wet t-shirts clinging to their muscle bound bodies can cause women to lust as well...

Could you please provide a link for men's modest swimwear as well?? I'd like to see what it looks like..

The only things I could find are with lycra wetsuits which is pretty much skin tight on men, or jeans and a t-shirt and well, men with wet t-shirts clinging to their muscle bound bodies can cause women to lust as well...

Board shorts + wet T-shirt = Men's modest swimwear? I guess we get to lust after the muscle bound bodies from the protection of our burkhas...... :rolleyes:

Calgal,

I did not say it was all funny... I said the burka aspect was being funny... I was quite serious in my views on modesty... If you had read me early on in the thread I already stated that we guys have as much responsibility as you woman do for modesty....

Both are responsible.. One to dress modestly which is commanded and not cause their brothers to stumble and the other to not commit adultery by lusting with their eyes after woman...

I will also state that man have just has much responsibility to dress modesty for woman and not cause them to stumble.... which is why I am fully clad in the summer when it is a balmy 100 degree day and Maryland is humid so it feels hotter... No shirt is removed, my legs are covered down past my ankles and all my clothing is loose and not form fitting....

Michael

Michael,

this is not funny really. The amazing thing is that the coverings do NOT take all responsibility from the man and frankly you guys have just as much responsibility for YOUR reactions as we women do to dress appropriately. :2cents:

Calgal,

Here is what I would wear... It is lightweight and does not hold water.

Beta ARs are made from new Gore-Tex® Pro Shell fabric and offer improved protection, breathability, durability and suppleness

1025891.jpg

In seminary one of my roomates had a Catholic friend who gave him a statue of the Virgin Mary. Of course, that was problematic for us Reformed folk. But we didn't want to be jerks and tell the Catholic friend to go buzz off. So we got a whole bunch of electrical tape, wrapped it around the statue of Mary, and it looked like the perfect ninja!

Do these work for ya..... *Chuckling* I would prefer these above all else... :smug: *Grinning from ear to ear*

headcover.gif

Not bad. It looks Muslimish though.

I'm curious, does anyone know of a good website that sells headcoverings for Christian women? A site with photos.

Well there is Headcoverings by She Maketh Herself Coverings

it has alot of anabaptistic headcoverings from mennonite to brethren, to amish to hutterite, to german baptist, etc....

headcover.gif

Not bad. It looks Muslimish though.

I'm curious, does anyone know of a good website that sells headcoverings for Christian women? A site with photos.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back