Manton's Commentary on James

Status
Not open for further replies.

FenderPriest

Puritan Board Junior
Has anybody ever read Manton's commentary on James? I'm just starting it, and even his "Note to the Reader" is interesting in getting a window into who this man was.

It's a useful little commentary: I think you'll be blessed by it.

Manton has always been one of my favorites, though, so perhaps I'm slightly biased.

I read the whole thing a long time ago. Manton was probably the most able expositor of the Puritans, and James is certainly an excellent specimen.

I loved this commentary. One of the best commentaries I ever read, actually.
This is what made me fall in love with Manton's writings.

Manton has always been one of my favorites, though, so perhaps I'm slightly biased.

"little"? That one took a while to read! Not what I'd probably call "little", but man is it good! :)

I got it right after college from Great Christian Books when it still existed and I have used it often and never been disappointed. It was on sale at the time and after that I wanted more of his writing.

I worked through it a few years ago. I was intrigued by his take on James 3 regarding "be not many masters". It seemed to fit the context better, in my opinion, than the typical take of "teachers" seemed to require. It is a worthwhile read.

Blessings!

Manton on James is rich with balanced exposition and wise application. One peculiarity a reader might find at odds with modern introductions is his identification of the brother of the Lord with the apostolic band, thus rejecting the conjecture of a third James. In this I think he is quite correct and that scholars ought to stop inventing biblical characters. Also notable in his introduction is the question of canonicity, where he places text critical issues on the same level with the acceptance of canonical books, thereby negating the false dichotomy between higher and lower criticism.

"little"? That one took a while to read! Not what I'd probably call "little", but man is it good! :)

:ditto:
Little? I have the ollld 22 vol paperback version of his works.

Yes it is challenging reading Manton esp if you are not used to Puritans like Owen and Goodwin.

Lots of good detail if you are into that
Johnstone is also good

Thanks guys for your thoughts. I've had some changes to my study projections for the year, so some things were skimmed off to make room for other priorities. However, I knew Manton was a must for this year. I'm encouraged to proceed forward into the work to have his hand helping me get a better grasp of this epistle that I need so dearly. (As a biblophile note here: I've got the new 22 vol. publication, so it's number 4 out of the set. What a beautiful printing!)

He's fairly easy to follow (I've been trained on "Puritan Lingo" by Owen, it's all easy after him!), and I love his heart. Thanks guys! I'm looking forward to the read.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back