Many Odes to the god of Country Music

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sonoftheday

Puritan Board Sophomore
Country music has a god. He is mentioned at every awards ceremony CMT or GAC puts on. He is mentioned in many songs. I only occassionally hear country music, and only listen to it if its over 15yrs old, but I was in the convience store the other day and heard a song that made some comments about this god, but they didnt seem at all like our God. In fact, almost every country song I can remember that mentions god is talking about a different god than our God. I was gonna look up the song that was playing in the store but I am in a hurry right now so Ill find it and post the name and singer later.

Would you music fans please post country/southern songs that contain references and information about this god. I am highly curious to learn more about him because I think I have a great many friends and relatives that worship him, rather than YHWH.

A couple songs I do know the name of are on Kid Rocks new CD innappropriately named "Rock n Roll Jesus". They are Amen and the title song.

Here is a line from the song Amen.

Habitual offenders, scumbag lawyers with agendas
I'll tell you sometimes people I don't know what's worse
Natural disasters or these wolves in sheep clothes pastors
Now **** it I'm scared to send my children to church
And how can we seek salvation when our nations race relations
Got me feeling guilty of being white
But faith in human nature, our creator and our savior, I'm no saint
But I believe in what is right

He believes in whats right, like faith in human nature:banghead:. Kid Rock might not always be country but Id say he worships thier god.

First, I don't know which god you are talking about. It could be a generic god (but not necessarily). I could post a lot of lyrics, but I don't see the evidence corroborating what you claim, with all due respect.

And Kid Rock is most definitely not country! Not by a long shot.

Yeah, I was in a hurry and didn't explain myself very well. I am really curious as to some of the country/southern rock songs that specifically make claims about God, or about how a christian should act. Lyrics dont need to be posted just the title and artist of the song, i can look up the lyrics on my own. I am curious because it seems everytime i hear a country song its talking about a "generic" god that has nothing to do with our God.

(The reason I quoted Kid Rock was I just heard that song 2 days ago and one of my good friends who claims to be a christian agreed with it all whole heartedly. And he seems to be widely accepted among the country music crowd.)

Last edited:
What they mean about "God" probably depends on the person. Country music is not monolithic.

And I repeat: Kid Rock is nowhere near Country and is not wildly accepted by the country music crowd.

I guess in passing conversation or a song I really don't have enough evidence either way to know if someone means the Christian god or some vague generic god. In all honesty, I think you will see both.

When country songs mention giving their lives to Jesus and repenting, I ahve a strong suspicion that they mean the same Jesus I mean.

Apparently Im not getting anywhere with this, My point was not that every single individual country music singer worshiped this same false god as if it were some form of cult or something. My point was there is a very generic god that is often made reference to. He is thought of as the "big guy" or "the man upstairs" yet not really personal or much like the christian god at all. I am completly aware that there are many country music singers who are regenerated believers, I am not denying this. I have albums by those such as Randy Travis, and Johnny Cash on my computer.

I was only looking for a little discussion over some of the songs that make rather vague statements about a god that do not agree with a scriptural understanding of God.

And Finally I must say sorry that I assumed someone who created 1 country album and 2 southern rock albums was not considered country. I have seen him CMT at awards shows and such so only assumed he would be considered as such. I personally do not consider many of the artists out right who create thier Pop-country albums country, however the country stations on my radio dial do, so I am unsure as to who decides these things.

Also, I want it to be known that I am not a Yankie making an attack on country music, though I may only be slightly below the mason dixon here in Oklahoma (Indian Territory), Im still straight up redneck. I grew up on a small farm, chewed tobacco till i realized I wasnt doing it to the Glory of God, and still enjoy country music if its true county music, not a pop mix.

That's fine. I am a country music purist; therefore, I do not consider Kid Rock (or a host of other nominal country singers) to be country.

I like ol' Don Williams:

Lord I hope this day is good
I'm feeling empty and misunderstood
I should be thankful Lord, I know I should
But Lord I hope this day is good

Lord have you forgotten me?
I've been praying to you faithfully
I'm not saying I'm a righteous man, but Lord I hope you understand

I don't need fortune and I don't fame
Send down the thunder Lord, send down the rain
But when you planned just how it will be, plan a good day for me

Lord I hope this day is good
I'm feeling empty and misunderstood
I should be thankful Lord, I know I should
But Lord I hope this day is good

You've been the King since the dawn of time
All that I ask is for a little less cryin'
It may be hard for the devil to do but it would be easy for you.

That's fine. I am a country music purist; therefore, I do not consider Kid Rock (or a host of other nominal country singers) to be country.

Well yeah as soon as I clicked on your Profile and saw that beard you were rocking I could tell you were southern to the core.:D

This is the god of George Bush - generic, inclusive, ineffectual...
I think that is just the PC god that is always mentioned in public forum, the American god, the Arab god, the football god, the karma god, the race relations god, they all are generic poppycock not necessarily indicative of an individual's personal beliefs for we are all cowardly Peters that hear the **** crow from time to time.

Edit: just realized I was censored for calling a rooster by its formal name, kind of ridiculous.:scratch:

Well yeah as soon as I clicked on your Profile and saw that beard you were rocking I could tell you were southern to the core.:D

Unfortunately, that is not my beard. This pic might help, though

gun.jpg

Yeah thats the one i was talking about, theres that picture of you infront of the fireplace on your profile page.

Travis, At the risk of being called a low down gambler
I would have almost bet that I was the only one on here that knew that old Don Williams tune.

Richard King;

I would have almost bet that I was the only one on here that knew that old Don Williams tune.

If you would have made that bet; you'd have lost... :)

As someone else who listens to country...I wouldn't considerl Kid Rock to be a country singer either..

Travis, At the risk of being called a low down gambler
Well he and Alabama were huge to 80s country and that was what was in the house my first six or seven years on this earth.

I like Don quite a bit, has about 20 songs in his catalogue I don't mind listening to.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back