Map of Presbyterians in America

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plimoth Thom

Puritan Board Freshman
Thought some of you might find this map interesting. It shows the percentage of Presbyterians across America as of 2000.

presbyterian.gif

They have other maps for different denominations and religions here.

I like the "none reported" legend. I can just see the headline, Presbyterian's in " " none reported.:lol:

Great maps! Just for comparison, here is the Reformed Map. Note the difference in scale for the colors between Presbyterian and Reformed. Can anybody guess what county Dordt College is in?

reformed.gif

[Edited on 3-9-2005 by sastark]

I recently saw an advertisement for an 1871 map of the Presbyterian Church in the United States at Stroud Booksellers:

Map of the Presbyterian Church in the United States. Reduced From the
[MAP]. Map of the Presbyterian Church in the United States. Reduced From the large Map, Publishedby the New York Evangelist. Entered according to Act of Congress, in the year 1871, by Henry M. Field, In the Office of the Librarian of Congress, at Washington. [at top of map:] Presented to the Subscribers for "The Presbyterian Church Throughout the World," by the Publishers, De Witt C. Lent & Co., New York.[ Folding map 23 x 18 inches, torn along about 1/3 of pages with old cellophane tape on most of the torn folds, map tipped into it's own binder in publisher's original cloth, endpaper cracking at inside hinge, cloth just starting to fray at spine ends and corners, gold lettering on front cover.
Price: USD 50.00

I found this map to be the most interesting:

church_bodies.gif

Baptists and Romanists seem to rule the roost. And I thought the PCA was prominent in the south, but by looking at the Presbyterian map, it just doesn't look like Presbyterianism and Reformed Christianity has too many adherents. :(

Great find!

One map is the percentage of Presbyterians. The other is the percentage of Reformed. Since Presbyterians fall UNDER Reformed, then shouldn't the percentages be lower on the Presbyterian map than on the Reformed map rather than vise versa?

One map is the percentage of Presbyterians. The other is the percentage of Reformed. Since Presbyterians fall UNDER Reformed, then shouldn't the percentages be lower on the Presbyterian map than on the Reformed map rather than vise versa?
Actually, in the sense that they are using the word "Reformed," Presbyterians aren't Reformed. You might as well think of "Reformed" as the "Dutch Reformed," since they're the largest representatives of the continental Reformed tradition (at least, I think they are) in America.

Baptists and Romanists seem to rule the roost. And I thought the PCA was prominent in the south, but by looking at the Presbyterian map, it just doesn't look like Presbyterianism and Reformed Christianity has too many adherents.

According to the website of each denomination:
SBC -16 million members
PCUSA - 2.4 million members
PCA - 306,000 members.

On a seminary list-serve posting related to these maps, one of our more witty faculty members sent out an email making an interesting observation about the practice of baptismal mode and geographic location with this title: "Baptists Can't Handle the Cold...".

I found this map to be the most interesting:

church_bodies.gif

On a seminary list-serve posting related to these maps, one of our more witty faculty members sent out an email making an interesting observation about the practice of baptismal mode and geographic location with this title: "Baptists Can't Handle the Cold...".
:lol: :rofl:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back