Mark 1:39 more demons in synagogues? (where should the comma go)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior

Mar 1:39 And he went into their synagogues throughout all Galilee, preaching and casting out demons. (NAS) :um:

Mar 1:39 And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out devils. (KJV)

Mar1:39 …preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons. (NIV)
:p

There is nothing in the English text to clearly rule in or out that the demons were exorcised from within the synagogue. What I want to know is if there is anything in the Greek text – one way or the other? :judge:

Mar 1:39 And he went into their synagogues throughout all Galilee, preaching and casting out demons. (NAS) :um:

Mar 1:39 And he preached in their synagogues throughout all Galilee, and cast out devils. (KJV)

Mar1:39 …preaching in their synagogues and driving out demons. (NIV)
:p

There is nothing in the English text to clearly rule in or out that the demons were exorcised from within the synagogue. What I want to know is if there is anything in the Greek text – one way or the other? :judge:

It seems that a reasonable interpretation would be that two things are mentioned as being accomplished by Christ in the towns of Galilee (vs 38); He preached in their synagogues and cast out demons.

Mark 1:39 και ην κηρυσσων εν ταις συναγογαις αυτων εις ολην την Γαλιλαιαν και τα δαιμονια εκβαλλων

I do not see anything in the Greek to suggest otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back