Mark 10:29-30

Discussion in 'The Gospels & Acts' started by BFG33, Oct 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BFG33

BFG33 Inactive User

Jesus said, “Truly, I say to you, there is no one who has left house or brothers or sisters or mother or father or children or lands, for my sake and for the gospel, who will not receive a hundredfold now in this time, houses and brothers and sisters and mothers and children and lands, with persecutions, and in the age to come eternal life.

I am so confused what Jesus means by "with persecutions". What do you guys think He means?

2. Ryan&Amber2013

Ryan&Amber2013 Puritan Board Junior

I think that though we receive so many benefits of Christ in this life, ultimately the world will hate Christianity and persecute it because of what we stand for. The seed of the serpent will always be at war against the seed of God (Gen 3).

3. BFG33

BFG33 Inactive User

Ryan, I can see that making sense. If we are not to believe a prosperity gospel, what are we to make with the promise Jesus makes here?

4. Afterthought

Afterthought Puritan Board Junior

That they will be appropriately recompensed in this life and in the life to come. Indeed, they who have left family for Christ's sake will, at the very least, gain a hundredfold by being a member of the family of God: behold Christ's brothers, sisters, mothers, fathers, and children! And where Christ's family has the charity that should mark them, those who have abandoned houses and lands will still be taken care of: both by the church and the providence of God. And in the life to come, they shall have eternal life: lost the world but their soul is saved.

Edit: And so far as the prosperity teaching goes in general, you may find comments on these previous threads helpful.

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/his-heart-is-fixed-trusting-in-the-lord.89932/#post-1106769

https://www.puritanboard.com/threads/the-compensation-of-godly-contentment.89865/#post-1106285

5. BFG33

BFG33 Inactive User

Wow! I do not know why I did not think of that! Thank you brother! That was beautiful!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.