Martha, Martha – A Brief Meditation on a Familiar Passage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ed Walsh

Puritan Board Senior
Greetings to you this Lord's Day,

You know the story. Is it your story?
Luke 10:38-42
38 Now, as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house.
39 And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord’s feet and listened to his teaching.
40 But Martha was distracted with much serving.
And she went up to him and said, “Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone?
Tell her then to help me.”
41 But the Lord answered her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things,
42 but one thing is necessary.
Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

Martha was a true believer.
John 11:27
She [Martha] said to him, “Yes, Lord; I believe that you are the Christ, the Son of God, who is coming into the world.”

Perhaps Martha learned her lesson. After her brother, Lazarus, died, Martha was the first of the sisters to seek out Jesus. (John 11:20)

The story of Martha and Mary in Luke 10 speaks for itself, so I will add little.

Here's the sum:
Mary sat at the Lord’s feet, listening to Jesus, but Martha was distracted with much serving. When Martha complained to Jesus, He said to her, “Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is needful. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.”

Psalm 27:8
When thou saidst, Seek ye my face; my heart said unto thee, Thy face, Lord, will I seek.

Application:
While it is called today, choose that good portion, which will not be taken away from you.

Isaiah 55:6
Seek ye the Lord while he may be found, call ye upon him while he is near:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back