Martial Arts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reformed1

Puritan Board Freshman
I'm having a bit of a dilemma within myself. A few years ago I had been attending a local Martial Arts school which taught Northern Shaolin Kung-Fu, Tai Chi and Chi Gung. I was not a very strong Christian at that time. I first started with the Kung Fu and began taking part in the Tai Chi. It immediately scared me given the very Eastern Mystic aspects of it (meditation and other weird things I can't really explain). I ended up leaving because of it. It was hard because I loved the Kung Fu and I was in the top class, so I was very involved with the school. Recently, I've run into the guys from the school and they're trying to convince me to come back. Is anyone familiar with Martial Arts from a Christian perspective? I mean, would it be OK to come back and only take part in the Kung Fu or should I not allow myself to be in that type of setting (where people may be meditating and doing other similar acts)? Is anyone versed in the nature of Tai Chi that could help me? Thanks! What does God's Law say about such things?

[Edited on 11/04/2004 by Reformed1]

Martial Arts, having been developed in the far East, will naturally have ties to Eastern Religions too. Your training of your body and mind as a unit is not at all sinful. I would recommend that you consider the aspects of meditation and the reasons behind those training sessions, and find where you can substitute prayer about your training.

Times of meditation are usually to calm the mind and focus on the task and technique, and not upon the emotions. In fighting you are to keep a cool head and not let rage blind you. So in meditating upon the Word, you can relax and pray that God give you strength and insight to help fight for those who can not fight for themselves. Also to have the serenity to know when to fight, and when other passive means are warranted.

Now if your training involves kneeling before little bronze Buddhas, where incense and chanting are going on, I personally would decline, and train elsewhere.

:2cents:

I study Kung Fu as well for 10 yrs now but my teacher was a Baptist christian and never incorporated any far east mentallity to it jus the forms and its applications of the Five animals styles. I am currently mastering the Wing Chun system with the dummie and all. I love Kung Fu and would encourage you to go back and influence those around you for Christ. At least thats what I did. Nothing wrong with Kung fu as a fighting defense system but all this meditation balogney is unchristian and part of cult mentalily we meditate on Christ and His word NOT on my inner self to make me a better artist or person that is satanic and gnostic.

When I took Tai Kwon Do (that's right, don't mess with me) our instructor had us just sit for a few minutes to "meditate". He didn't try to spiritualize it or tell us what to or not to think (ie as is usually done in a hypnotic way--though my highschool gym teacher did try to do this). Instead we were simply to use it as a time to calm ourselves down from daily life. I used the time to pray.

However, training of ANY sort (religious, physical, defensive, offensive, etc) will always have an effect on you. Those of my friends that took Tai Kwon Do long term were more apt to react or attempt to physically control all situations. I even reacted at school once when confronted (during the time I was attending classes). Let's just say a (male) classmate of mine, who had just had jaw surgery, almost had to go back and have it done again (hey, he pushed me, called me a foul name, and was two heads taller than myself---I think I was justified, but for some reason I got the suspension).

Originally posted by LadyFlynt
When I took Tai Kwon Do (that's right, don't mess with me) our instructor had us just sit for a few minutes to "meditate". He didn't try to spiritualize it or tell us what to or not to think (ie as is usually done in a hypnotic way--though my highschool gym teacher did try to do this). Instead we were simply to use it as a time to calm ourselves down from daily life. I used the time to pray.

However, training of ANY sort (religious, physical, defensive, offensive, etc) will always have an effect on you. Those of my friends that took Tai Kwon Do long term were more apt to react or attempt to physically control all situations. I even reacted at school once when confronted (during the time I was attending classes). Let's just say a (male) classmate of mine, who had just had jaw surgery, almost had to go back and have it done again (hey, he pushed me, called me a foul name, and was two heads taller than myself---I think I was justified, but for some reason I got the suspension).

Careful, PB'ers...Colleen has UNAGI! :banana:

:lol: My son agrees!

(let me just add that at 5'6.5" I was ONLY 105lbs...that classmate didn't live it down for the rest of the school year)

[Edited on 8-25-2005 by LadyFlynt]

Oh yeah? Well I bet you don't know the secret ninja moves from the government!!
pow.gif
new_lmaosmiley.gif

Hoping I am not the only one to have seen that movie....

Thank you all for your input. It is really helpful. Especially yours Roldan. It's good to hear that someone else shares the same passion. For years Christians were making me feel guilty about going. I'm sure they had some really good points because of the meditation and the "Chi" exercises. If I do go back I'll definitely have a different mindset and purpose for reaching them with the gospel.

Originally posted by Reformed1
Thank you all for your input. It is really helpful. Especially yours Roldan. It's good to hear that someone else shares the same passion. For years Christians were making me feel guilty about going. I'm sure they had some really good points because of the meditation and the "Chi" exercises. If I do go back I'll definitely have a different mindset and purpose for reaching them with the gospel.

People have tried to make me feel guilty as well or say that every time I did a form I was calling demons. LOL mostly from my pentecostal side of the family.

I even use martial arts analogies as a theological teaching tool when I teach the youth or young adults and they love it.

I've been training in shotokan karate, boxing, wrestling, judo/jujitsu and now stick fighting for 16 going on 17 years now. When I first started karate, we did zazen twice a night. I wasn't a christian and didn't care, in fact, I set up a little buddhist shrine in my home complete with samurai swords, incense and a large buddha. I didn't realize how it affect me until I become a believer, took my buddha to the backyard and 'stoned' him so to speak...it was helpful in putting off the old man and making a clean break with my past.

I now run a dojo at my church and have been for 2 years, we run it like a boxing/kick boxing club with japanese terms and kata. It's a tricky matter that only you and your Pastor should deal with, in general it doesn't affect many believers but can have a negitive affect on the lost...it helps them continue to affirm the false.

j

Originally posted by Hard Knox
...took my buddha to the backyard and 'stoned' him so to speak...

:lol: That's so cool. I keep imagining a John Knox looking guy stoning a statue in his backyard. LOL :up:

[Edited on 11/04/2004 by Reformed1]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back