Martin Bucer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Me Died Blue

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I've just recently started to come across Bucer's works & history, particularly in Darryl Hart's book Recovering Mother Kirk. I'm basically trying to gain/form a whole historical perspective on him in terms of how he "fit in" with his contemporaries, theologically and historically.

As active as I've been here on the Board at times (admittedly not for the past couple years), discussing so much theology and church history, I'm honestly really surprised that there's never been more mention or discussion of Bucer and/or his theology and influence, in light of his apparent role in the history & theology of the Protestant church.

Here's a link to an article (in .pdf) at the website of the Martin Bucer Seminary (with which I am affiliated). I also wrote, a number of years ago, a piece entitled "Martin Bucer: Ecclesiastical Spin Bowler." The title is derived from an article (here) in which Bucer was described in that manner.

His major work "De Regno Christi" doesn't seem to be very freely awailable:

It's here: Melanchthon and Bucer (Library of Christian Classics)
by Wilhelm Pauck, John Thomas McNeill (Preface by), Henry P. Van Dusen

In his Popish Ceremonies, George Gillespie cites Bucer's Censura a couple of times from Scripta Anglicana fere omnia. Chapters 9–16 of the Censura are translated and given in Thomas Mount Fallow, The Order of Baptism, Both Public and Private, According to the Use of the United Church of England and Ireland: Illustrated from the Use of Salisbury, the Religious Consultation of Herman, Archbishop of Cologne and the Sentiments of the Compilers and Revisers of the Book of Common Prayer (James Burns: London, 1838).

I've just recently started to come across Bucer's works & history, particularly in Darryl Hart's book Recovering Mother Kirk. I'm basically trying to gain/form a whole historical perspective on him in terms of how he "fit in" with his contemporaries, theologically and historically.

As active as I've been here on the Board at times (admittedly not for the past couple years), discussing so much theology and church history, I'm honestly really surprised that there's never been more mention or discussion of Bucer and/or his theology and influence, in light of his apparent role in the history & theology of the Protestant church.

Banner of Truth published his "Concerning the True Care of Souls" that I thought provided some really interesting perspective on how the early reformers saw the role of the church and pastoral office. It also has some downright fascinating insights into how he saw the interaction between Church and State. While there would be some debate and disagreement and even more on how he views penance, what's most remarkable about the book is just how much of a wise, even-keeled tone there is within it. I was really struck by how he had a high view of laity helping and encouraging each other to grow in their pilgrimages, while strongly reinforcing the unique role of the elders and pastors as shepherds. It struck me as thoroughly mature, balanced, and refreshing on the role of elders.
A good review: Concerning the Care of Souls - Reformation21

http://www.amazon.com/Concerning-Tr...9849/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323932199&sr=8-1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back