Martin Luther: Hymns, Ballads, Chants, Truth 4 CD Set

Status
Not open for further replies.

crhoades

Puritan Board Graduate
Yet something else I now must have...

Click here

This monumental recording project presents, for the first time, a complete recording of all the hymns, ballads, and chants composed or authored by Martin Luther. This four-CD set provides numerous vocal and instrumental settings combining Renaissance, Baroque, and modern instruments.

Many hymns are preceded by preludes composed by significant historic and contemporary composers. All texts are sung in English by a choral ensemble noted for vocal clarity. Historic narrative is provided, quoting Martin Luther concerning music, worship, and liturgy.

A 64-page booklet presents each hymn text and brief comments concerning the history of the music and text. Durable packaging keeps CDs safe in shipment, so you can send a set to each of your friends. The set contains 39 tracks.

[Edited on 11-6-2005 by crhoades]

Just finished listening to the first CD.

WOW.

The Lord's Prayer and the Ten Commandments set to music with application are worth the price of admission alone. The songs are very well done. Between songs are quotes read from Luther about music. I can't recommend this set enough! Buy them for people that you know for Christmas. There is a Christmas hymn in it that is very moving. If you buy 2, yours is free.

Again. Phenomenal.

Music is a discipline, and a mistress of order and good manners, she makes the people milder and gentler, more moral and more reasonable

I have no pleasure in any man who despises music. It is no invention of ours: it is a gift of God. I place it next to theology. Satan hates music: he knows how it drives the evil spirit out of us.

WOW! I MUST OBTAIN THIS!

3 of us are going in together to buy this. It's $45 apiece, but it's only $30 apiece if you get 3!

[Edited on 12-7-2005 by biblelighthouse]

For what it's worth,

I gave my pastor a copy last night. We listened through a few selections while reading the lyrics. He said that it was the best gift he's gotten in a long time. He has actually stood in Luther's pulpit and sang A Mighty Fortress in his church. These cd's could be easily used for private devotions, family worship, and for non-ep worship (although there are quite a few psalm paraphrases in there) Each selection has a historical introduction to it as well.

I got my copy too by going in on it with Joseph. (Thanks Joseph!)

I think the songs are wonderful. What the collection does for me is give me an insight into the joy that the early Lutherans had in being liberated from Roman bonds. There is a kind of simple yet virile energy in the music.

I have to comment on some of the Luther quotes. He obviously loves music and is quoted as saying things like music drives away the devil and is next to theology in importance. I understand his point, but I found myself thinking, "Woah, Martin, you haven't heard some of the music of today."

Some might be put off by some of the chants which almost sound Catholic. But I would disagree. This collection is an insight into the mind of Luther. He escaped the bonds of Rome, yet revelled in expressing holy thoughts through music.

So, I highly recommend the set. It sets a reverent tone, is lush in harmony, and is a good antidote to ubiquitous Christmas Muzak renderings.

Vic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back