Mason-Dixon Breakfast

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey I'm not kidding. This is good. Taylor Pork Roll is a NJ special, but we can get it at Harris-Teeter.

Puritanhead, please don't skyline (hi, Rich) me for this.

Ima staring at a bowl of plain oats right now.

You guys are making me hungry...

[Edited on 8-17-2006 by satz]

Ryan,

"skyline" is not NJ slang but a bit of Marine jargon I picked up from our brother Rich - it's in this thread. One of these days I'll learn how to jump you to the specific message.

I am responsible for the title I gave the "recipe" and I hope no one is offended by it.

[Edited on 8-17-2006 by jaybird0827]

Originally posted by Jeff_Bartel
Never had Pork Roll, but I LOVE breakfast! :banana:

:banana: That's two of us. Pork Roll is definitely a NJ thing, but it can be gotten online or whereever us Jersey transplants are found in significant numbers.

NJ resident here - Never eaten pork roll though.

A NJ breakfast is bagels - good fresh bagels, not the imitation stuff like Lenders and the like. :scholar:

In Virginia this is what we like to eat for breakfast (courtesy of Southern Kitchen restaurant, New Market, VA), including Smithfield ham:

mini_1072.jpg

[Edited on 8-17-2006 by VirginiaHuguenot]

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
NJ resident here - Never eaten pork roll though.

A NJ breakfast is bagels - good fresh bagels, not the imitation stuff like Lenders and the like. :scholar:

Don't forget the "hard rolls" buddy. Also, NJ natives tend to call pork roll "Taylor ham". If you go "down the shore" you'll find it on the boardwalk, served on a hamburger bun. Mustard to taste. And there's nothing like smelling it frying when you're on the boardwalk!

A W E S O M E stuff.

Originally posted by Swampguy
Curse your breakfast... I am on a stict cardiac diet and today all I can eat is bananas. :mad:

Can you have oatmeal? I love oatmeal with bananas (or other fruit) and cinnamon.

Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot
In Virginia this is what we like to eat for breakfast (courtesy of Southern Kitchen restaurant, New Market, VA), including Smithfield ham:

mini_1072.jpg
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I can feel my blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides going up just by looking at that picture.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
wafflehouse.jpg
I don't know why it is, but everytime I was ever at a wafflehouse with friends, it was like between 2 and 4 o'clock in the morning.

And the coffee tastes like it is stored in a big underground storage tank, as if a truck comes in and pumps it into the ground.
:D

[Edited on 8-17-2006 by Puritanhead]

Originally posted by Puritanhead
. . .
I don't why it is, but everytime I was ever at a wafflehouse with friends, it was like between 2 and 4 o'clock in the morning.

And the coffee tastes like it is stored in a big underground storage tank, as if truck comes in and pumps it into the ground.
:D

How waffle!

We are a breakfast family too. It's bacon, eggs, and sausage everymorning with toast. Hubby has coffee and I have tea.

Tim on the cardiac diet, bananas are fattening. I am trying to gain weight the way a doctor told my sister to and it was you guessed it, eat a banana a day before breakfast. You take the toast and potato out of that picture and you got yourself a good heart diet.

Originally posted by Puritanhead
Originally posted by VirginiaHuguenot

mini_1072.jpg
Mmmmmmmmmmmmm.... I can feel my blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides going up just by looking at that picture.

:ditto:

The only problem with that picture is that the ham is not Country Ham and there's no grits!! What is breakfast without grits? Culinary p*rgatory!

When I lived out west Waffle House was my hangout. They had country ham and grits.

I don't know why it is, but everytime I was ever at a wafflehouse with friends, it was like between 2 and 4 o'clock in the morning.

And the coffee tastes like it is stored in a big underground storage tank, as if a truck comes in and pumps it into the ground.

So THAT's how they do it! And there's some company that sends in regulars, I think they shift off, going to different diners each night to provide ambience - the schizophrenic talking to his coffee at the counter, the dangerous guys planning some deal in back, the pair of aging alcoholics sneaking out for a raunchy country'n'western assignation...

[Edited on 8-18-2006 by turmeric]

[Edited on 8-18-2006 by turmeric]

We began bright and early Thursday morning with breakfast and somehow we've all ended up together at the virtual Waffle House. :)

So, Meg, do they have these out in the Portland area now? We lived out there for like 14 years between 1986 and 2000. First time I ever saw a Waffle House was in the midwest on our way back. We also ate there on trips back and forth to campus when Jay Jr. was in college.

We have a local Pancake House, some Pig 'n' Pancakes out on the coast, and, of course, Denny's et al. We used to have our own homegrown diner, Quality Pie, where I've been told they put NoDoz in the coffee. Can't substantiate that one,though. No Waffle Houses, though if we get one, I'll go there and think of all of you!

My wife and I like to have an Egg in a basket for breakfast occasionally. We have nicknamed this "Vendetta Toast" after the movie because we didn't know the name for this tasty dish.

VendettaEgg.jpeg

Originally posted by jaybird0827
We began bright and early Thursday morning with breakfast and somehow we've all ended up together at the virtual Waffle House. :)

So, Meg, do they have these out in the Portland area now? We lived out there for like 14 years between 1986 and 2000. First time I ever saw a Waffle House was in the midwest on our way back. We also ate there on trips back and forth to campus when Jay Jr. was in college.

There is a Waffle House in my home town of Clarks Summit, PA. I believe it is currently the WF furthest north in Yankee country.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back