Master Sibbes on the Song of Solomon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joshua

AdMEANistrator
Staff member
The esteemed Richard Sibbes commenting on one proper use to be made in the way of mortification with the book of Canticles versus the misunderstanding/misapplication made of it by many (Works, Vol. 2, p.6):

By shewing more noble, excellent, and fit objects, that the soul, issuing more largely and strongly into them, may be diverted, and so by degrees die unto other things. The Holy Spirit hath chosen this way in this song, by elevating and raising our affections and love, to take it off from other things, that so it might run in its right channel. It is pity that a sweet stream should not rather run into a garden than into a puddle. What a shame is it that man, having in him such excellent affections as love, joy, delight, should cleave to dirty, base things, that are worse than himself, so becoming debased like them! Therefore the Spirit of God, out of mercy and pity to man, would raise up his affections, by taking comparison from earthly things, leading to higher matters, that only deserve love, joy, delight, and admiration. Let God’s stooping to us occasion our rising up unto him. For here the greatest things, the ‘mystery of mysteries,’ the communion betwixt Christ and his church, is set out in the familiar comparison of a marriage, that so we might the better see it in the glass of comparison, which we cannot so directly conceive of; as we may see the sun in water, whose beams we cannot so directly look upon. Only our care must be not to look so much on the colours as the picture, and not so much on the picture as on the person itself represented; that we look not so much to the resemblance as to the person resembled.​

I don't see why people see the Song of Solomon as merely love letters between a man and woman. There's so many parallels, especially in chapter 5. Not only that but all scripture points to Christ. What do you guys think? Am I being out of line here?

Thanks, Josh.

I've been thinking long and hard on what I've called (to myself) positive mortification. This is an excellent example of what I'm trying to come up with in that term.

It's like Sabbath issues. The Lord's day is a burden if we devote our focus to what we can't do. In that case, we are drawn down to the physical equivalent of not scratching itches, as it were. But if our focus is on the Lord of the Sabbath, and on the freedom he gives, and the destination to which he is taking us, the yoke is easy.

Reminds me some day a new version of Durham on the Song may be worthwhile. On the Sabbath aside, while we have to know the things forbidden as well as the duties commanded in the fourth commandment, that focus is essential; not that we have a 'it's no big deal' attitude toward those things forbidden that we shouldn't be focused on; but that we need that focus to come close to profiting from the duties, which otherwise are burdensome (when will the Sabbath be over, etc.).
It's like Sabbath issues. The Lord's day is a burden if we devote our focus to what we can't do. In that case, we are drawn down to the physical equivalent of not scratching itches, as it were. But if our focus is on the Lord of the Sabbath, and on the freedom he gives, and the destination to which he is taking us, the yoke is easy.

Certainly, Chris. I'm thinking of a driving analogy: you absolutely need to know where the guardrails are. But the going is hard if you are steering just to avoid guardrails.

Good thoughts, Brother Vic. The older I get, the more I realize that my best efforts spent in the negative aspect of mortification (by the Spirit, etc.) -if not coupled with the positive filling up with good works (not for merit, but as expressions of thankfulness and hopes more and more to be like Christ)- can never last long in this striving against sin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back